We are committed to creating and maintaining a safe, positive, and productive learning environment in which all persons treat each other with respect and courtesy.
The following code of conduct was developed in accordance with Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy and the Library Regulations. It serves to provide guidance for students and staff about expectations in the Library.
- Treat all users fairly, equally, and with respect and courtesy at all times.
- Endeavour to provide as many resources, facilities and services as possible to support your studies.
- Provide equal and open access to Library resources and facilities.
- Provide appropriate and flexible hours.
- Provide a variety of study spaces.
- Provide a clean, safe, and tidy environment.
- Respond to your feedback. We value your comments and suggestions.
- Ensure that this Code of Conduct is respected by everyone using the Library.
- Treat other users and Library staff with respect and courtesy.
- Refrain from any noise, behaviour or activity that disrupts or disturbs others.
- Respect the designation of silent and quiet spaces. When using a group study room, no noise should be audible outside the room.
- Ensure that any device that emits sound is kept in “silent mode” at all times, and that any audio is played only through headphones and cannot be heard by anyone else.
- Limit your consumption of food and drink to snack foods and covered drinks, and only at study tables, study carrels, and group study rooms.
- Refrain from consuming any food or drink in Archives and Special Collections, the Book Arts Lab, the Joy Maclaren Adaptive Technology Centre, or any other space in the Library designated as one where consumption of food and drink is not permitted.
- Use the Library spaces, furniture, computer workstations, equipment, and materials only for the activities or purposes for which they are intended.
- Refrain from informally reserving space by depositing personal effects for prolonged periods.
- Refrain from leaving any computer workstation unattended for more than five minutes.
- Take responsibility for all personal belongings and not leave them unattended.
- Clear your study space when you leave and place any garbage or recycling in the bins provided.
- Refrain from returning books to the shelves in the stacks.
- Refrain from canvassing, posting, photographing, filming or video/audio recording anywhere in the Library without express permission from the Office of the University Librarian.
- Refrain from blocking the entrance/exit, aisles, doorways, stairwells or otherwise interfering with the free flow of pedestrian traffic.
- Refrain from bringing animals into the Library, the exception is service animals which are permitted in the Library as per the University’s Domestic Animals on Campus Policy (pdf).
- Have your campus card or photo ID with you at all times and present it upon request.
- Comply with requests to search backpacks or bags when security alarms sound at the Library entrances.
- Co-operate with Library staff at closing time and during emergency situations and leave promptly when asked.
Enforcement and Sanctions
Staff monitor behaviour within the Library to ensure that all users respect the code of conduct. Staff will make every effort to ensure that users are aware of Library policies and that they comply with them.
Anyone who refuses to comply with any element of this Code of Conduct may be asked to leave Library, and may in addition have some or all of their Library privileges revoked.
For more information, see “Enforcement and Sanctions” in the Library Regulations.