Digital files in their native formats are acquired for the Carleton University Library collection by the GIS specialist.
Files are acquired based on their relevance to academic programs and research interests as funds permit.
Most data are collected by means of consortium arrangements that involve cost-sharing among academic institutions.
GIS data is collected from the Ontario Geospatial Data Exchange (OGDE) through OCUL consortium subscriptions and from DMTI through a national consortium subscription. Research level (4+).
Local geospatial data files are donated by the City of Ottawa and the National Capital Commission. Research level (4+).
Requests for specific data sets are evaluated for purchase according to their relevance to the teaching and research needs of the university. Such requests from researchers are filled where possible; decisions not to acquire are affected by availability, cost, dependability of the data producer, data management issues and licensing restrictions.
- National Capital area, Ottawa/Gatineau (formerly Hull)
- All available data at all scales Ontario and Quebec
- Other Canadian provinces
- Canada, at scales of 1:50,000 and above
- United States
- All other countries and regions
- Extraterrestrial bodies
- Large-scale mapping - topographic coverage of the world at 1:250,000 to 1:1,000,000 scales.
- Small-scale mapping - political and administrative divisions; physical geography:geology, soils, landscapes, environment, natural resources; human geography:population, socio-economic patterns, land use, transportation systems, andhistorical events.
Geospatial data are collected in the following common GIS file formats:
- ESRI shapefiles, ArcInfo coverages and ESRI Geodatabase
- AutoCAD (dwg, dxf) and Bentley (dgn)
- MrSID (sid)
- GeoTiff, GeoJPEG
GIS vector files will be created from scanned images if required.
Remote sensing images are considered on a case by case basis subject to geographic, topical and budgetary constraints.
Data and image management and GIS software is available for use with geospatial data in the library collection. Software available:
- ESRI suite of GIS tools including ArcGIS
- Autodesk DWG True View
- LizardTech GeoViewer
- Global Mapper
- Google Earth Pro
- Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and WORD
- Paint Shop Pro
- Adobe Acrobat
Revised November 25, 2010