Content last reviewed:
- Le Droit (Ottawa) 1913 - 1964 - Francophone daily newspaper
- Ontario online historical newspapers ( The Ancestor Hunt)
- Ottawa Citizen Archives at the Ottawa Public Library
- Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
- *not digital format* Ottawa community newspapers (Ottawa Public Library)
- *not all available in digital format* Historical daily newspapers : including complete runs of the Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Journal on microfilm (Ottawa Public Library)
- *not digital format* Ottawa City Directories (Ottawa Public Library)
Social media and community links
- apt 613.ca A platform committed to connecting people to their neighbourhoods, a place to learn and talk about new and exciting people, places, and goings on.
- Bytown Museum Explores the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day.
- Calisphere Gateway to U. of California's digital collections including Ottawa.
- Capital Heritage Connexion Patrimoine de la Capitale (CHC|CPC) An umbrella organization serving organizations, businesses, and individuals who are interested in the history and heritage of the greater Capital area. Taking a leading role in supporting, developing, and sustaining the heritage sector and ensuring local residents have access to and engagement with our region’s history and heritage.
- Capital History.ca-Stories through time Telling stories about life and work in Canada’s National Capital Region, focusing on businesses and the people who made them. We tell stories about employees and employers, about customers and passers-by, about buildings and neighbourhoods. From January 2020 We will be rolling out a new story every month, offering locals and visitors diverse and exciting histories of our city. Featuring interviews, video clips, and photographs, CapitalHistory.ca will engage you with the history of Ottawa in a way you have never experienced it before.
- Capital Modern Explores the legacy of Modern Architecture and Planning within Canada’s Capital Region for better or worse. It is an MTBA Associates Initiative.
- Capital Neighbourhoods The history of Ottawa through the city's buildings, parks, commemorations and hangouts /Bytown Museum initiative.
- City of Ottawa Archives Ottawa's documentary history. Research your house and family, or explore more than three million photographs. The City of Ottawa Archives are the caretakers of Ottawa’s history, preserving original documents on behalf of past, present and future generations.
- CMHC Historical Photos A rich repository of historical images from Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation - CMHC retains copyright to photos.
- Dan Neutel Panoramas and images of Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and locations around the world.
- Glebe Community Assocation A City-recognized organization advocating for a liveable, sustainable, diverse urban neighbourhood. The GCA informs, consults and engages with residents and other groups in the Glebe on issues of importance and promotes the interests of our community with all levels of government and other organizations.
- Glebesite A look at the historic buildings of the Glebe in Ottawa, Canada with a focus on urban planning: past, present, and future. Telling the stories of the buildings, streetscapes, and people that have defined the area over the past century and more; and ways to protect the neighbourhood’s streetscape heritage.
- Gloucester Historical Society Preserving the history of the former Township of Gloucester and City of Gloucester, Carleton County, Ontario, Canada.
- Heritage Ottawa Promoting awareness, appreciation and preservation of outstanding examples of historic buildings and places in Ottawa and the National Capital Area.
- Historic Gloucester newsletter Index to names, places about Gloucester history.
- The Historical Society of Ottawa To preserve and increase public knowledge of the history of Ottawa, including its people and places, through publications, meetings, tours, awards, sponsored research and the maintenance of a Reference Library in the City of Ottawa Archives; participation in local heritage events; and to support and encourage heritage conservation.
- Historypin Connecting communities with local history. (Search by place)
- House History Ottawa Providing social and legal histories of various properties in the Ottawa region, as well as shorter descriptions.
- Housemouse 613 Buildings, mostly houses, mostly in Ottawa.
- Kitchissippi Museum Dave Allston's blog about west Ottawa's little-known history, with stories, photos and information covering the fascinating history of the historic Kitchissippi neighbourhoods.
- Kitchissippi Times A digital version of the community newspaper "Kitchissippi Times" (2013 - current).
- Lebreton Flats Remembered Reflections on the history of a vanished community.
- Lost Ottawa Facebook community devoted to images of Ottawa and the Outaouais up to year 2000.
- Margins of History History Nerd (by Chris).
- MTBA Architecture Urbanism Conservation (Search "Ottawa" in searchbox)
- Mid-Century Modern and 1970s-Era Ottawa Celebration of Mid-Century Modern (MCM) and 1970s residential design in Ottawa.
- MoOt A designer's take on the nation's capital and thoughts on what could be done to improve the city.
- Old Ottawa South History Project A group of local amateur historians who research, document, and present information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way.
- Ontario Heritage designations and tools Heritage Property Evaluations; Designating Heritage Properties; Heritage Conservation Districts.
- Ontario Heritage Trust Ontario's heritage agency dedicated to identifying, protecting, renewing and promoting Ontario's rich and diverse built, curtual and natural heritage.
- OSCA Old Ottawa South Community Association OSCA builds a strong sense of community and engages the residents of OOS through its various programs, services and activities.
- The OSCAR Ottawa South Community Association Review newspaper.
- Ottawa Business Improvement Areas (BIA's) City of Ottawa - BIA's allows local businesses and property owners within a defined district to join together and, with the support of the municipality, organize, finance, improve and promote the area as a business and shopping district.
- Ottawa Construction News Keep up with the construction industry in Ottawa.
- Ottawa Heritage Conservation Districts City of Ottawa - Recognition and protection of Ottawa neighbourhoods, rural landscapes, main streets or other areas of special cultural heritage value that have a cohesive sense of time and place. Designated heritage districts often enjoy a renewed cultural and economic vitality not only because district designation highlights their special values but also because they are protected from decay and the intrusion of incompatible structures.
- OttawaHH Ottawa's History and Heritage in Pictures.
- Ottawa Museum Network Promoting the interests of member museums by engaging local residents and telling the greater Ottawa story.
- Ottawa On the River (1941) A film about the city of Ottawa in 1941 (YouTube).
- Ottawa past & present Dedicated to heritage preservation and a reflection of the architectural heritage in the Capital.
- OTTAWA REWIND Ottawa's Andrew King, shares stories that are pretty cool about Ottawa and the surrounding area.
- Ottawa Start A guide to info and events in Ottawa.
- Ottawagraphy Capital Heritage Connexion Patrimoine de la Capitale (CHC/CPC) shares heritage projects about the city including PHOTOttawa150.
- Ottwatch Track City Council & Committee meetings / stories / election coverage, etc.
- Somerset Street West (Online visual history project)
- spacingottawa A magazine about Ottawa's Urbanism uncovered.
- Stittsville Central Keeping residents more informed, interested and engaged in our community. This is an independent, community-driven web site published with the generous help of writers, photographers and other contributors from the neighbourhood.
- Urbsite A rich website dedicated to Ottawa's Midcentury Modernist architecture.
- VanierNow Stories that have made, and continue to make, Vanier today.
- Vintage Ottawa A Facebook page with a nostalgic look at Ottawa's past be it buildings, people, events, houses or more.
- West Side Action News and views about urban design, streetscaping, intensification, pedestrians, cycology and transit of the Western Downtown area of Ottawa.
- A Hidden Prohibition-era Whiskey Distillery (from OTTAWA REWIND)
- City archives, museums go digital
- Dreaming of our Future Ottawa
- Finding Ottawa's First Brewery (from OTTAWA REWIND)
- Grant in place to help restoration of future NCC pavilion
- How Ottawa's "town that never was" went off the rails
- Looking ahead to the 2015 New Home Market in Ottawa
- Making way for the highway: How the Queensway came to Kitchissippi (plus bonus photos) /Kitchissippi Times JUNE 11, 2015NCC flips switch on capital illumination plan
- Metcalfe Medical Arts building recommended for heritage status Minto communities mark 60th anniversary
- NCC to preserve iconic Gatineau Strutt House as public pavilionRestoring public access to Ottawa's "second Niagara"
- Remembering Ottawa's last streetcars
- Renovation of Senate's temporary home $29M over budget
- The Vanished Village of Long Island (from OTTAWA REWIND)
- Transforming Ottawa: How Jacques Gréber's plan forever changed the capital, for better and worse
- Windmill launches condos sales at Zibi on the former Domtar lands