Floor 1 (tunnel-level) will be closed this spring and summer as we undertake renovations to student spaces as well as the construction of a new computer lab.
Floor 1 will be closed starting May 13, 2023 and will reopen later this summer in time for the start of the Fall semester.
During this time, the floor for the most part will not be accessible to visitors.
We apologize for the disruption that this work will cause, and thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Access to the Library building
- The tunnel entrance to the Library will be closed. Please use the main entrance on Floor 2 (ground level, accessed from the quad) to access the building.
- The elevator at the tunnel level (Elevator 4) will remain operational and can be used to access Floor 2 of the Library. For assistance, please call the Library Services desk at 613-520-2600, extension 2734.
- The book return at the tunnel level will not be available. Please use the book return in the lobby on Floor 2 (to your right just after you enter the building) or visit the Library Services desk to return your items.
Access to CU-RDC
- The CU Research Data Centre will remain open during renovations. To access the centre, enter the Library on Floor 2 and take the elevators down to Floor 1. For information, please contact Dataservices@carleton.ca
Access to study spaces
- The student study spaces on Floor 1 will not be accessible during the renovations. We invite you to use the study carrels and group study rooms on one of the other floors in the Library.
Access to books, atlases and journals
- Books and journals on Floor 1 will not be accessible during the renovations.
- To retrieve an item from Floor 1, sign into Omni and use the “request library pickup or mail delivery” option to request the item. We will send you an email message letting you know when the item is available for pickup at the Library Services desk on Floor 2. If you are already in the Library, you can ask for the item at the Library Services desk and we will send someone down to retrieve the item for you right away.
- Reminder: If you only need a chapter from a book or an article from a journal you can use our Scan on Demand service to have it scanned and sent to you by email.
Access to maps
- The maps on Floor 1 will not be accessible during the renovations.
- To request a map, sign into Omni and use the “request library pickup or mail delivery” option to request the item. You may also enquire at the Library Services desk on Floor 2 or write to Sherri Sunstrum, Cartographic Specialist.
- We will send you an email message letting you know when the item is available for pickup at the Library Services desk on Floor 2.
- Maps must be consulted on-site and cannot be taken from the Library. There are large tables at the back of Floor 2, as well as in group study rooms on Floors 2, 4, and 5 that you can use for this purpose.
- Please return the map to the Library Services desk when you are done.
- If are interested in having a map scanned for you, see Map Scanning.
If you have any questions, please email LibraryServices@cunet.carleton.ca.