Data News | General | Statistics | Data Organizations | DDI 2.x and Nesstar | Additional Links | Presentations
These links can be useful when looking for more information on a variety of topics: citing; the Census; Official Statistics; help using statistics; other data organizations; and many other topics. For help about Data Services, different datasets and statistical programs, please see our Online Help.
- Data Interest Group for Reference Services (DIGRS) - This Web Log has been created to document a variety of reference interviews and the types of answers that have been given. It is under the direction of Chuck Humphrey, the Data Library Coordinator at the University of Alberta.
- DLI Training Repository - Contains training sessions & workshop presentations from DLI & other national & international conferences over the years. This web module may only be accessed from the institutional networks of Canadian postsecondary institutions participating in the Data Liberation Initiative (DLI). If you are a student or a member of a participating institution and you are unable to access these pages through your institutional network, please inform the DLI contact at your institution.
- How to Cite Statistics Canada Products - This electronic product shows how to cite all standard products offered by Statistics Canada. In addition to books, articles, analytical studies and periodicals, this work covers non-traditional products.
- Open Data Government of Canada - Canadian provinces and municipalities are providing data for free to the public. Not all open data have geospatial components but if you are seeking municipal-level data in Canada - especially outside Ontario - open data repositories are a good place to start.
- The Business & Community Newsletter - This newsletter includes articles and outreach materials that will aid with the understanding of national and local data from the Statistics Canada website.
Joe Anonymous - The Joe Anonymous video explains how Statistics Canada anonymizes the data they collect
Sage Research Methods - SAGE Research Methods supports beginning and advanced researchers throughout a research project, from writing a research question, choosing a method, gathering and analyzing data, to writing up and publishing the findings.
With information on the full range of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods for the social and behavioral sciences, as well as methods commonly used in the hard sciences, the book, reference, and journal content in SAGE Research Methods helps researchers of all levels conduct their research.
SPSS Help Guide
Statistics Glossary - Website that gives the definition for the majority of statistical terms and concepts.
- ACCOLEDS (A COPPUL Consortium of Library Electronic Data Services)
- IASSIST (International Association of Social Science Information Service and Technology)
- IFDO (International Federation of Data Organizations)
DDI 2.x and Nesstar
These links would be useful to those who mark-up and publish Statistics Canada microdata files for <odesi>. These documents can also be used to mark-up microdata files from other data producers.
- Introduction to DDI Metadata
- Best Practices Document: Based on DDI 2.x
- Publishing Microdata to <odesi> Using Nesstar Publisher 4.x (using DDI 2.x)
- Publishing Microdata to <odesi> Using Nesstar Publisher 4.x: Quick Rederence Guide
If you would like to be informed when updates are made to these documents, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- This page highlights additional links of interest for: General Interest; People; Economics; the Nation; Land and Resources; and Public Opinion Polls.
These pages contain links to presentations given:
Document:Introduction to RDM for FASS.pdf (2.08 MB)
Document:MSc_ResearchMethods.pdf (2.16 MB)
Document:Data Services - PECO 5001.pdf (1.44 MB)
Document:Introduction to the PCCF Series.pdf (702.76 KB)
- Dataverse for data sharing: An introduction (.pdf)
- ODESI: 10+ years later and still going strong (.pdf)
- Carleton Research Data Centre, Branch Office (.pdf)
- Data Services - PECO 5001 (.pdf)
- Introduction to SPSS (.pdf)
- Introduction to Stata (.pdf)
- Introduction to R (.pdf)
- The DDI Alliance Training Committee: What's it all about? (EDDI 2020)(.pdf)
- What can DDI do for you? An Introduction to the DDI (EDDI 2020) (.pdf)
- RDM and the Tri-Council (.pdf)
- Canadian Centre for Data development and Economic Research (CDER) (.pdf)
- The Data Reference Interview (.pdf)
- Introduction to DDI: Basic Concepts and How to Develop Skills for Training Researchers (.pdf)
- DMPs: Hmmm, I think I know what they are but ...? (.pdf)
- Introduction to DDI: for the Uninitiated (.pdf)
- What is RDM? Why Should I Care? (SP) (.pdf)
- DDI: What is it? How is it Used? (ODC) (.pdf)
- RDM - Help! A Case Study (DLI) (.pdf)
- Portage & Data Management Plans in Canada: Policies, Templates & Platforms (.pdf)
- "What next? Preserving and managing your data when the research is done" (.pdf)
- What are Data? What are Statistics? Why do they matter to me? (.pdf)