Statistics Canada is the national statistical office. The agency ensures Canadians have the key information on Canada's economy, society and environment that they require to function effectively as citizens and decision makers.
- Census of Population
- Conducted every five years, the census offers a snapshot of Canadian society at a given time. Census data is useful for making observations the about the current status of Canadian society. The Census provides a detailed statistical portrait of Canada and its people by their demographic, social and economic characteristics.
- 2021 Census Data Tables
- Census Program Data Viewer
- The Census Program Data Viewer (CPDV), is a web-based data visualization tool that will make statistical information more interpretable by presenting key indicators in a statistical dashboard. The CPDV makes it easy to find many places in Canada, see them on a map, and get basic geographic and sociodemographic data for those places.
- List of surveys and statistical programs by record number
- Replication Data for Census PUMFs: Variable Guide
- Subject Guides
CANSIM (Canadian Socio-economic Information and Management Database) is Statistics Canada's computerized database of time series covering a wide variety of social and economic aspects of Canadian life.
The Data Liberation Initiative's site allows you to browse the DLI Community and the DLI Survey Collection. There is a list of abstracts, data and metadata available online. This does not include the Statistics Canada Census (population and agriculture) or Geography products. The site also includes the DLI product release dates and the survey names and acronyms in both official languages.
Peruse a List of surveys and statistical programs by record number from Statistics Canada. To check out questions and answers about various DLI surveys, check out DIGRS (Data Interest Group for Reference Services).
Rich Data Services (RDS)
Rich Data Services (RDS) is Statistics Canada’s analytical platform for Public Use Microdata files (PUMFs) and their metadata. The RDS Explorer and Tabulation Engine's user-friendly interfaces allow users to browse, interact, and download data and metadata for online or offline analysis. Please note, you have to be on campus or on Carleton's VPN network to access this platform. This platform may only be accessed from the institutional networks of Canadian postsecondary institutions participating in the Data Liberation Initiative (DLI). If you are a student or a member of a participating institution and you are unable to access these pages through your institutional network, please inform the DLI contact at your institution.
Resources for using RDS:
Document:RDS User Guide (From DLI).pdf (885.3 KB)
Document:RDS Explorer - Basics.pdf (1017.96 KB)
Document:RDS Crosstabs .pdf (447.93 KB)