We have digital aerial images (air photos and orthophotos) of Carleton campus, the Ottawa-Gatineau region, and Ontario that range in years from 1958-2011. All of these resources are limited to Carleton students, staff, and faculty use unless indicated otherwise.
Canadian and international sources below are freely available for use by anyone unless otherwise noted.
For all but Canada and international, lists are in reverse chronological order with data provider (City of Ottawa or National Capital Commission) and pixel resolution noted when available. Coverage varies from year to year and from provider to provider.
It is possible to measure features on an orthophoto but not on an air photo. More information.
Aerial images for Carleton Campus | Ottawa-Gatineau | Ontario | Canada | International
Clicking on the links below will permit you to download the data via our online downloading system (you must be a Carleton student, staff or faculty member to use this system; if you are from another academic institution and you require this data for academic purposes, email us and we may be able to assist).
If you simply want to view (but not download) City of Ottawa air photos, GeoOttawa allows viewing the City's imagery using the Aerial Maps button and selecting a year of interest from the resulting menu.
- 2017 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2017 near infrared photos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2014 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (20cm)
- 2014 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2011 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (20cm)
- 2011 orthohotos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2009 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (10cm)
- 2008 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2007 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (20cm)
- Freely available via Open Data Ottawa: 2005 orthophotos (download via our interactive map) - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 2003 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (25cm)
- 2002 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (25cm)
- 1999 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (50cm)
- 1994-2001 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (25cm-50cm)
- 1991 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (20cm)
- 1976 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (50cm)
- 1965 orthophotos - National Capital Commission (20cm)
- 1958 orthophotos - City of Ottawa (15cm)
- Freely available to all: 1954 Southern Ontario air photos from University of Toronto (includes most of Ottawa)
- Freely available to all: 1930s - 1945 air photos from uOttawa (not georeferenced)
- 1928 air photos (not orthorectified) - City of Ottawa (40cm)
Carleton students, faculty and staff have access to a number of Ontario aerial imagery datasets outside the Ottawa-Gatineau region through Scholars GeoPortal.
- 2017 North West Ontario Orthophotography Project (NWOOP) via Scholars GeoPortal (50cm)
- Coverage of Highway 11 from Nipigon to Kashabowie Provincial Park, including Thunder Bay region to US border; and areas around Kenora, Dryden, Fort Frances, Atikokan, and Lac La Croix
- 2016 Central Ontario Orthophotography Project (COOP) via Scholars GeoPortal (20cm)
- West of Algonquin Park to Thessalon (includes North Bay and Sudbury) and coverage of Highway 11 to Hearst
- 2015, 2010 and 2006 Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (SWOOP) via Scholars GeoPortal (30cm)
- 2014 Digital Raster Acquisition Project Eastern Ontario (DRAPE) - Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (20cm)
- 2013 Greater Toronto Area Orthophotography Project via Scholars GeoPortal (20cm)
- 2013 South Central Ontario Orthophotography Project (SCOOP) via Scholars GeoPortal (20cm)
- 2011, 2004 & 1998 City of Kingston Orthophotography
- 2008 Digital Raster Acquisition Project for the East (DRAPE) for eastern Ontario (20cm)
- 2008 Forest Resource Inventory
- 2008 Muskoka and Simcoe County Orthophotos (30cm)
- 2005-2008 Ontario Quickbird imagery (60cm)
Historical Air Photos (pre-2000) of Ontario
These resources are freely available to all users.
- Hamilton: 1919-1970 (not georeferenced)
- London: 1922-2001
- Niagara region: 1934
Orthoimages of Canada 2005-2010 (10m resolution for panchromatic; 20m resolution for multispectral) are available digitally via Open Government Canada. The easiest way to access them is as follows:
- Go to the Orthoimages webpage.
- Scroll down to Data and Resources.
- Download the Index of available files (KMZ) and open in Google Earth.
- Zoom in and click on the area you are interested in and you will be linked directly to that tile's file downloads. For each tile you will have the choice between projections (UTM and Lambert Conformal Conic) and multispectral or panchromatic. You may need to download multiple tiles for full coverage of your area of interest.
The National Air Photo Library is located on Carling Street here in Ottawa and contains over 6 million air photos dating as far back as 1920. You can search 3 million of their holdings using their online search tool.
The University of Ottawa library also has a large collection of air photos. You can search their holdings using the uOttawa National Air Photo collection index.
Provincial and territorial air photo collections that are freely available:
- Alberta Air Photo Collection (historical - 1922-1956)
- Manitoba (from 50cm to 5km depending on area, no dates given; requires free sign-up)
- New Brunswick (1m orthophotos, 1996-2002)
- Prince Edward Island (1935, 1958, 1968, 1974, and 2000)
If you are looking for aerial imagery of a specific location, check to see if the area makes aerial imagery available via open data. Our Open Data Repositories - Canada is a good place to start.
Land Viewer provides free access to Landsat 7, Landsat 8, Modis, and Sentinel-2 satellite datasets.
As with Canadian areas, you may want to check open data repositories starting with our Open Data Repositories - US and International page.