Looking for elevation data (contours or elevation models)? Go to our Elevation Data page.
LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) is a type of remote sensing. It works like radar except it uses light or laser beams instead of radio waves. The time it takes for the laser to travel from the sensor (often mounted on a plane or helicopter) to the surface and back is used to calculate the distance to an object. Those pulses can penetrate non-solid surfaces (e.g.: forest canopy) and the resulting data appears as a point cloud.
LiDAR can be used to provide highly accurate elevation data. The data is collected as points with x, y & z values and these points can be used to create digital elevation models often in GeoTIF/TIFF format. LiDAR data is often in LAS format and may also be in overlapping ground and non-ground files, with the non-ground file showing surface features such as buildings, bridges, and trees.
Below is a list of LiDAR datasets by geography, beginning with Ottawa-Gatineau and moving up to the entire world. Those available only to Carleton students, faculty, and staff are marked with a Carleton logo. All others are freely available to anyone.
LiDAR data for Ottawa-Gatineau | Ontario | Canada | USA
- Ottawa LiDAR and LiDAR-derived Digital Elevation Model (2006-2015) - 1m resolution
- Available in both TIF files for raster DEM and LAS files for LiDAR
- Also Ottawa-Gatineau LiDAR (2006-2010)
- Digital Raster Acquisition Project Eastern Ontario (DRAPE) 2014 Raw LAS & Classified LAS
- Please send us (email@example.com) a zipped shapefile of your area of interest and Scholars GeoPortal will do a custom clip. It may take 1-2 weeks depending on size of area requested.
All of the LiDAR collections in this section are subject to the following workflow for Carleton users. Please allow 1-2 weeks from initial request to data delivery.
- Sign our GIS Data Use Agreement.
- Send us (firstname.lastname@example.org) a zipped shapefile of your area of interest and which LiDAR collection you are requesting, including Raw or Classified.
- We will send your shapefile to Scholars GeoPortal staff who will clip the requested dataset.
- Once the clip has been completed and uploaded to a secure server, we will contact you with a link to download the data.
- Ottawa region: Digital Raster Acquisition Project Eastern Ontario (DRAPE) 2014 Raw LAS & Classified LAS
- Central Ontario Orthophotography Project (COOP) 2016 Classified LAS
- North Western Ontario Orthphotography Project (NWOOP) 2017 Classified LAS (LiDAR)
- Ontario Raw Point Cloud (Lidar-Derived) - Peterborough & Cochrane, 2016-2018
- South Central Ontario Orthophotography Project (SCOOP) 2013 Raw LAS & Classified LAS
- Southwestern Ontario Orthophotography Project (SWOOP) 2015 Raw LAS & Classified LAS
Land Information Ontario (LIO) provides LiDAR datasets free to the public. Details on dataset availability and how to access them is available on the Ontario GeoHub.
- Montreal LiDAR aérien 2015
- The United States Geological Survey (USGS) may have LiDAR point clouds available for your area
- search under Elevation Source Data (3DEP) in the National Map Viewer