Sage Research Methods
- Sage Research Methods supports beginning and advanced researchers throughout a research project, from writing a research question, choosing a method, gathering and analyzing data, to writing up and publishing the findings. This is not a topic-based database (i.e not specific to Applied Linguistics) but focuses on resources that help you learn more about the research process and methods.
- With information on the full range of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods for the social and behavioral sciences, as well as methods commonly used in the hard sciences
- NOTE: we subscribe to the Core and Video collections. At this time we do NOT subscribe to the Cases, Datasets, or the Practical Research and Academic Skills subset of videos. These will be marked with a lock icon. Please let me know if you feel this content would be useful to you, your feedback will help us decide whether to purchase these collections in the future.
Grad Navigate Workshops
- Grad Navigate workshops are offered by departments and services across campus, including the Library. They are part of Graduate & Postdoc Professional Development
Library Services you may Want to Know About:
Research Data Management (RDM) & Data Managment Plans (DMP)
- Research Data Management: Start here! Staff are available to help you with your plans. Includes links to the Carleton DMP template as well as to Portage which offers the DMP Assistant, a step-by-step template to create your own plan.
- Dataverse: A secure place to store your data and make it accessible to others
- Register for an account
- Currently, due to COVID, only requests for items that can be obtained electronically are being processed:
- journal articles ? Yes, you'll get sent link to pdf by email
- book chapter? Yes, you'll get sent link to pdf by email
- conference paper? Yes
- entire book? No, not yet, but you could request we purchase a copy.
- full conference proceedings? No, request individual papers
Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Softwae (CAQDAS)
- NVivo: We have a site license for this and offer workshops and provide support.
This software " ...helps you organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured, or qualitative data like: interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content." Can import Survey Monkey or Qualtrics surveys directly, other surveys can be imported in Excel or csv formats.
- MaxQDA: recently added stats package, now for "qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods analysis". 4 different option packages + Many different student licensing options
- QDA Miner: "easy-to-use qualitative data analysis software package for coding, annotating, retrieving and analyzing small and large collections of documents and images". Additional modules for statistical data analysis and quantitative content analysis/text mining. Has free QDA Miner Lite
- Dedoose: web based. "cross-platform app for analyzing qualitative and mixed methods research with text, photos, audio, videos, spreadsheet data and more"
- Our Scholarly Communications librarian can answer questions related to publishing your research, establishing/managing your Research IDs, info on our Graduate Student Open Access Fund...
Multimodal Analysis Tools
- Elan: designed for analysis of language, sign language, and gesture (free)
Many of these offer both free versions and paid versions. Free versions may limit maximum number of questions, respondents, surveys. Most of the CAQDAS packages will allow you to import survey data. See this PCMag list of Best Online Survey Tools for 2020 if you want to compare.
- Qualtrics: We have a site license
- Survey Monkey
- Survey Gizmo
- Survey Planet
- Google Forms totally free
Text/Corpus Linguistics Tools
- Linguist List's Software related to Text/Corpus linguistics
- SIL Language Technology: links to a wide variety of software and web tools to help in collecting and analyzing language
- AntConc (free)
- Praat: for phonetics analysis (free)
- Leximancer: automated analysis of text
- Sketch Engine (free)