- Start by searching the library catalogue using the following subjects:
- Use the excellent resource OWL - Purdue University's Online Writing Lab.
Expand General Writing to explore:
Citing your sources
It is essential to understand how and when to use citations in your essays and projects to ensure the Academic Integrity of your work. Good help is available!
Look for a Country Report on Business Source Complete
- Select Country Reports from the menu on the right hand margin
- Key in a country name to the search box
- Look for a Country Profile or Country Review and open the most recent year
provides an overview and data for countries as well as links to other sources
Conference Board of Canada - Reports on Canada as well as Canada's cities and industry
Passport - Provides information on consumer related industries
Lobbyists (industry associations) are the interface between government and business. They work for the best interests of the industry and try to persuade governments to support them on issues.
Industry associations often provide information and data to the public. To find the relevant association(s) for your industry, search google for the industry + country + association. A few examples:
- Information Technology Association of Canada
- Electronic Components Industry Association: ECIA
- Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA)
Look to Government regulatory bodies for outlines, news and analysis around regulation:
EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) - provides national economic data and forecasting as well as disposable income for countries from around the world.
globalEdge (Michigan State University - Broad College of Business)
Conference Board of Canada e-Library - Economic data for Canada, the Provinces and major metropolitan areas as well as consumer and Business Confidence.
Passport provides population data, consumer segmentation, consumer expenditure and lifestyle trends.
From top tabs, go to Consumers - Population.
Scoll down to Country Reports and choose your geography
Explore data - select View Statistics on left hand side
From the top tabs, go to Consumers - Income and Expenditure to find data on expenditure by product and income by age... Select View Statistics
Canada, United States and Global
Look for current research by keyword in the search box:
- Top 10 Global Consumer Trends for 2019
- Consumers in 2019
- Connected Consumers: How Widespread Connectivity Changed Life
Or search by specific counntry:
Or search by specific country:
From the tool bar at the top of the page,
Income and Expenditure
Scoll down to Country Reports and choose your geography
Data on consumer confidence and business confidence.
Search the following for polls and information on attitudes of Canadians:
Look for articles and information on technologies that can have an impact on your product or industry. Can a new technology change the way you do business? Benefit your business? Threaten your business?
- Passport - Get trends affecting consumer products and services markets that include technological impacts.
- Gartner Research - Gartner® is a leading provider of research and analysis on the global information technology (IT) industry.
Scholarly, Industry and News Articles
- Business Source Complete Allows segmentation of results by type of resource. Do a search on your product, company or industry.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Ei Engineering Village
- Factiva provides access to global newspapers, trade journals plus scholarly and non-scholarly journals. Full-text of the Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal are found here.
Trade and popular titles are very useful for industry news, new products, technology, innovations and trends in a field.
Can you tell the difference between trade or popular journals, scholarly journals and newpapers?
Examples of trade and popular titles are:
- Electronics Weekly
- Marketing News
- Advertising Age
- Electronics Magazine
- Industry Week
Search for articles in trade journals, newspapers and scholarly titles on your topic using online databases. Many databases will have a button that allows you to limit your search to scholarly or non-scholarly materials.
Approaches and Rates
- CardOnline Canadian Advertising Rates and Data
Look for articles and podcasts to find advertising trends and strategies. Search by keywords.
For example - search advertising to find:
- Generation Z: The Next Wave of Consumers
- The Rise of Food & Drink E-Commerce: Digital Baskets Replace Supermarket Trolleys
- Survey Results: 8 Global Consumer Types for Marketing in 2018
- The Ungendered: Marketing to a Non-Binary Generation
- Internet of Things (IoT): From Everyday Items to Conduits of Digital Commerce
- Browse reports in Passport under Consumers - Digital Consumer
- Interactive Advertising Bureau
Go to the subject guide Social Media for tips on searching, statistics and reports.
Search the business literature and business news sources for information on small private companies and articles on trends within an industry.
It the company is publicly traded, you may find a SWOT analysis
- Go to Business Source Complete and search for your company name. Scroll down and limit by Company Report and SWOT Analysis.
- Try Passport. Select Companies from the top tab and key in your company name. Select relevant segment and open the profile. Look in the table of contents for a SWOT analysis.
Look to the company's web site for valuable information: Read the Management Discussion and Analysis - (MD&A) section of the Annual Report or 10k. Read the letter to the shareholders from the CEO in the company's annual report.
Look for information on the industry
Use the search box to look for reports by keyword - Pokemon
Top Trends to watch in the Global Traditional Toys and Games Industry 2017
Selecting Industries on the top toolbar.
Select Consumer Electronics
You may narrow down the category to portable consumer electronics
Select Toys and Game
You may narrow down to video games
To get the growth rate open a report - for example Wearable Electronics in the United States and click on View Statistics from menu on left.
Additional company and industry data can be found
- Factiva Mouse over Companies/Markets from menu bar at top of page. Key in company or select industry from the list provided. Published profiles are found under Analysis and Profiles from menu on left.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library Browse by topic -> Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter industry name in the search box.
- Business Source Complete Indexes, business news magazines and scholarly journals.
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Canadian Newsstream Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- PressReader provides pdf access to newspapers from 97 countries in over 55 languages. The collection currently has over 2,300 titles.
- Factiva (Globe and Mail, The Economist and the Wall Street Journal live here)
- Nexis Uni
The following titles are available online through the Library catalogue:
- Ottawa Business Journal See also the OBJ Book of Lists
- The Economist
- Financial Times (London)
- The Globe and Mail
- National Post Online (includes the Financial Post)
- Wall Street Journal
From the internet