- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database
- PAIS Provides citations and abstracts to articles and other documents in the area of public affairs and policy.
- America History and Life Covers Canada and the US
- Business Source Complete
- Google Scholar For seamless access to the fulltext of articles that are part of the library's collection, take the link from the library page. If you run into difficulty, the instructions for a workaround are on the details page.
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
The Data Centre
Located on the 1st floor of the library, provides quantitative research data from various disciplines in the social sciences, humanities, and life sciences. For help about Data Services, different datasets and statistical programs, please see our Online Help.
Statistical Consulting Consultants are skilled in SPSS and Stata but also have some knowledge of Excel and SAS. Sessions are 1 hour in duration and appointments are recommended. Walk-ins are welcome.
- Maddison Project Database 2020 provides information on comparative economic growth and income levels over the very long run. The 2018 version of this database covers 169 countries and the period up to 2018.
Customized search engine for Government Information
- CANSIM II (CHASS)
- Federal Reserve System
- Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
- Data Basics
- International House Price Index
- Globalization Institute - real-time data set for OECD
- IMF eLibrary
- OECD iLibrary
- World Bank Data Catalog
Company & Industry Data
- Business Source Complete - search your topic, product, company or industry. Under Refine your results choose Industry Overview and Industry Profile.
- Factiva - mouse over Companies/Markets from menu bar at top of page, select Industry. Select industry from the list provided. Published profiles are found under Analysis and Profiles from menu on left.
- Passport- Select Industries from the menu tab and narrow by country.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library - Browse by topic -> Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter industry name in the search box.
Web Sites for Stats
- Data Library of Kenneth R. French - Distinguished Professor of Finance at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. He is an expert on the behavior of security prices and investment strategies.
- American Economic Association Data & Resources
- Penn World Table provides purchasing power parity and national income accounts converted to international prices for 189 countries/territories for some or all of the years 1950-2010.
General web sites for economists
Here are some useful titles you can use to help you:
- The student's guide to writing economics
- Writing public policy: a practical guide to communicating in the policymaking process
- Show me the numbers: Designing tables and graphs to enlighten
- The Wall Street journal guide to information graphics: the dos and don'ts of presenting data, facts, and figures
Use the excellent resource OWL - Purdue University's Online Writing Lab.
Under Academic Writing, explore:
- Essay Writing: defines and outlines the structure of
- Expository essays
- Descriptive essays
- Narrative essays
- Argumentative (Persuasive) essays
- The Writing Process
- Creating a Thesis Statement
- Developing an Outline
- Quoting, Paraphrasing and Summarizing
Citing your sources
It is essential to understand how and when to use citations in your essays and projects to ensure the Academic Integrity of your work. Good help is available!
- Research and Citation - Guides to citation styles from OWL.
- Citing Your Sources - Carleton's general guide to resources on all the main styles including video links.
- The Chicago Manual of Style Online
- Citation Guide - an excellent guide to citing business sources in Chicago Style from Harvard Business School.
- Citing Data & Statistics