Content last reviewed:
- Business Source Complete
- Emerald Management eJournals
- Google Scholar For seamless access to the fulltext of articles that are part of the library's collection, take the link from the library page. If you run into difficulty, the instructions for a workaround are on the details page.
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
Maddison Project Database 2020 provides information on comparative economic growth and income levels over the very long run. The 2020 version of this database covers 169 countries and the period up to 2018.
EIU.com - provides tables and charting of economic indicators, including disposal income, for all countries.
Online version of the World Competitiveness Online - analyzes and ranks the ability of nations to create and maintain an environment that sustains the competitiveness of enterprises based on over 300 criteria grouped into 4 main factors: economic performance, government efficiency, business efficiency, and infrastructure.
globalEdge - a user-friendly site from Michigan State University providing statistical data and information on 202 countries worldwide.
Doing business - from the World Bank.
Customized search engine for Government Information
- Data Tables from Statistics Canada
- Federal Reserve System
- IMF eLibrary
- OECD iLibrary
- World Bank Data Catalog
Company & Industry Data
- Business Source Complete - search your topic, product, company, or industry. Under Refine your results choose Industry Overview and Industry Profile.
- Factiva - mouse over Companies/Markets from the menu bar at the top of the page, select Industry. Select the industry from the list provided. Published profiles are found under Analysis and Profiles from the menu on left.
- Passport- Select Industries from the menu tab and narrow by country.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library - Under Browse by, select Topic. Then select Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter the industry name in the search box
Specialized reports from reputable sources
- World Energy Outlook from the OECD
- Global Auto Report from Scotiabank
Look for valuable information and data from trade resources. Google the industry, the country, and associations to find trade associations.
Websites for Stats
- Data Library of Kenneth R. French - Distinguished Professor of Finance at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. He is an expert on the behavior of security prices and investment strategies.
- American Economic Association Data & Resources
- Penn World Table provides purchasing power parity and national income accounts converted to international prices for 189 countries/territories for some or all of the years 1950-2010.
General websites for economists
Good help is available!