Use databases to perform a literature search on your topic.
Example - advance search in Econlit with full text
wage rates and international trade finds 739 sources including
MINIMUM WAGE RATES AND PURE THEORY OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE
Source: QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS 1974 Volume: 88 Issue: 1 Pages: 98-116
Cited by (10) within the database Econlit
Compare to Citation databases
Web of Science
Above article cited 139 times, the most recent in 2012.
TARIFFS, FOREIGN CAPITAL AND IMMISERIZING GROWTH
Author(s) Brecher, RA, Diaz, Alejandro, CF
Q J ECON
7, Issue 4, November 1977, Pages 317-322
Cited by (6) in EconLit
Search by Author to get a list of publications by the author and the number of times cited.
Conference Board of Canada e-Library provides Canadian economic data and forecasting
CANSIM (Statistics Canada's main database) - available to Carleton students/faculty on two platforms:
CANSIM (Statistics Canada website)
CANSIM II @ CHASS (University of Toronto) - download in SPSS
Examples of data included are housing price indexes, labour, health, etc.
Additional sources of data are:
Housing - Statistics and Data (CMHC); House Price Survey (Royal LePage)
Open Data (Government of Canada's open data portal)
Minimum Wage Database
Customized Google search engines for government information
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas - Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute
Database of Global Economic Indicators
International House Price Database
Real-Time Historical Dataset for the OECD
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis FRED (Federal Reserve Economic Data) and ALFRED (Archival FRED) vintage versions of economic data
Fed in Print - central catalogue of the US Federal Reserve System
EIU.com Economist Intelligence Unit - economic data and forecasting
IMF data - part of IMF eLibrary
OECD iLibrary - Statistics - OECD STAT - Monthly economic indicators - composite leading indicators - confidence indicators
World Development Indicators and Global Development Finance - are both available on the World dataBank
(consumption, education, employment, exchange, FDI flows, GDP growth, GDP per capita, Interest, unemployment)
Data Library of Kenneth R. French - Distinguished Professor of Finance at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. He is an expert on the behavior of security prices and investment strategies.
American Economic Association Data & Resources
Penn World Table provides purchasing power parity and national income accounts converted to international prices for 189 countries/territories for some or all of the years 1950-2010.
To find theses and dissertations start with:
- Dissertations and Theses Global
- Theses Canada / Thèses Canada
- Foreign Doctoral Dissertations
- OR... View the full list of our theses and dissertations databases.
Other useful links:
- ABES: thèses Links to various sites that may have full-text of theses from France.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) Links to other projects that are ongoing in digitizing dissertations.
- Revising your dissertation: advice from leading editors LB2369.R49 2008
- Surviving Your Dissertation: A Comprehensive Guide to Content and Process. 3rd ed. LB2369.R83 2007
- Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text. LB2369.S55 2010
Other aids for writing include
- Avoid Plagiarism
- Write a book review (Queen's University)
- Write a literature review (Portland State University)
- Wall Street Journal guide to information graphics: the dos and don'ts of presenting data, facts and figures
- Citation Management online links to RefWorks and other bibliographic management tools.
- Citation Guide Excellent guide to citing business sources in Chicago Style from Harvard Business School
- Cite Your Sources General guide pointing to resources on all the main styles.
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- Citing Data & Statistics