Choose a research topic that interests you and meets the assignment instructions:
- Identify the key concepts of your research topic
- Do an initial search on your topic using Omni - it searches almost everything in our journal databases and the library catalogue, ie: books, journal articles, ebooks, games, music, videos, government information, maps, etc.
Useful e-books and online atlases to consult on Stratigraphy and Sedimentology include:
Formal Stratigraphic Concepts and Nomenclature
- Time in Stratigraphy (Online)
- Lexicon of Canadian Stratigraphy (Online)
- Regional Stratigraphy of North America (Online)
- Geological Atlas of Africa: with notes on stratigraphy, tectonics, economic geology, geohazards and geosites of each country (Online)
- Sequence Stratigraphy QE651.S458 (floor 3)
- Seismic Stratigraphy TN269.S525 (floor 1)
- Seismic Stratigraphy, basin analysis and reservoir characterisation (ebook)
- Cycles and Events in Stratigraphy QE651.C9 (floor 3)
- Biostratigraphy: microfossils and geological time QE651.M357 (floor 3)
- Stable Isotope Geochemistry (ebook)
The following resources illustrate the varied applications of stratigraphic concepts.
- Seismic Stratigraphy II: an integrated approach to hydrocarbon exploration TN269.S37 (floor 1)
- Exploration Stratigraphy TN271.P4V57 (floor 1)
- Biostratigraphy in Production and Development Geology QE651.B54 (floor 3) and ebook
- High Resolution Stratigraphy QE651.H54 (floor 3) and ebook
- Principles of Archaeological Stratigraphy CC77.5.H37 1989 (floor 5)
- Island Arcs: Cenozoic stratigraphy and tectonics of Japan QE305.A14 vol. 2
- Applied Stratigraphy QE651 .A78 2005 and ebook
- Principles of sedimentology and stratigtraphy QE571.B66 2012 (floor 3)
- Applied Sedimentology QE471.S44 (floor 3) and ebook
- Sedimentology QE471.M3143 (floor 3)
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy QE571.N53 2009 (floor 3)
- Sedimentology: process and product QE571.L4 (floor 3)
- Global sedimentology of the ocean GC380.15.R63 2009 (floor 5)
Physical and Chemical Processes
- Principles of Physical Sedimentology QE471.A5597 (floor 3)
- Principles of Chemical Sedimentology QE471.B467 (floor 3)
Trace fossils: Ichnofaunal Analysis
- Ichnos: an international journal for plant and animal traces
- Trace Fossils QE711.2.T7 (floor 3)
Sedimentology of Facies/Environment
- Facies Models QE651.F3 1984 (floor 3)
- Deep-water processes and facies models (e-book)
- The History and Sedimentology of ancient reef systems QE565.H57 2001 (floor 3)
- Geomorphology and Sedimentology of Estuaries GB451.2.G466 (floor 5)
- Clastic Tidal Sedimentology GC380.15.C53 (floor 5)
- Continental Margin Sedimentation QE571.C57 2007 (floor 3)
Methods of Analysis
--> Examples of search strategies using Boolean operators:
biostragraphy AND foraminifera --> use AND to connect different topics
"sequence stratigraphy" AND boundaries --> use quotation marks to ensure words are searched together as a phrase
"crustal flow" AND (theory OR model OR style) --> use OR to string synonyms within parentheses
geology --> use the Limit options to specify location, material type, or language of an item
--> use the asterisk to represent variant spellings of words, or to truncate root words, ex: minerali*ation
--> place the asterisk at the end of a word, ex: sediment* -->this search technique will find various endings such as sediments, sedimentary, sedimentology, sedimentation
Tip 1: Learn to recognize subject headings in the book records from the catalogue that are most common for your area of research and follow the subject web links. Assigned subjects allow books on the same subject to be shelved near each other.
Tip 2: If you are looking for a research topic, a good starting point is the Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences. It is a journal that provides timely reviews of significant developments across the earth sciences and is intended to keep readers up-to-date with new developments in the field.
Begin your search for journal articles with Omni. It lets you do 'one search' to find books, journals articles, newspapers articles, videos, etc. It searches almost all of our collections and databases, simultaneously.
If you know the title of a specifi journal article or journal, type in the full title using quotation marks.
If you are keyword searching:
- Combine keywords with AND
- Combine synonyms with OR
- Use truncation * (asterisk) as the end of a root word to find all forms of the word
When you get your results, use the filters on the left side of the screen to limit your search to conten type such as Journal article, Book, Dissertation, or Nnewspaper article.
Note: If you are searching OMNI from off campus, it is very important that you login if you want to be able access online journal articles and ebooks.
Other Earth Sciences databases
The following books also help with understanding how to summarize your observations and learn to write in a concise manner:
- Successful Lab Reports; a manual for science students (print)
- Scientific Style and Format: the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers (print)
- Geowriting; a guide to writing, editing and printing in earth science (print)
- CSE (Science) Citation Style
- Citing your sources
- Citation Management - tools used to organize your references, pdfs, and create bibliographies. The library offers workshop clinics using Zotero, Mendeley and EndNote Basic.