Define and get an overview of your topic or find definitions of key terms and concepts
- Oxford Reference (Online)
- Encyclopedia of Government and Politics (online)
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of International Relations
- Encyclopedia of International Relations and Global Politics (online)
- International Relations: the key concepts JZ1160 .G75 2013 (online)
SAGE Research Methods ( supports beginning and advanced researchers throughout a research project, from writing a research question, choosing a method, gathering and analyzing data, to writing up and publishing the findings)
- IMF (International Monetary Fund)
- OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development)
- United Nations Economic and Social Council
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
- World Bank
- World Trade Organization
- Government Information - Canadian or International background information
- Think Tank - search limited to think tanks dealing in public policy, including NGOs (non-governmental organizations)
Develop a search statement to search databases (including news databases), the catalogue, and other academic sources
A search statement includes a list of keywords, combined using Boolean Operators (AND; OR; NOT)
- AND - this will combine concepts, all of which must be found in your list of results
- media AND children
- OR - either this concept or that concept (or both). This is helpful for generating a list of synonyms. Use synonyms to anticipate the different ways different authors may refer to the same idea. A thesaurus can be helpful for this
- internet OR web OR online
- NOT - do not include this concept
- Mexico NOT city
- Quote marks - find a specific phrase
- "human rights"
- Truncation - any other combination of letters to follow
- Canad* - will find Canada, Canadian, Canadian's, etc.
- journalis* - will find journalism, journalist, journalistic, etc.
- Combine one or more of these operators
- Put a list of synonyms in brackets
(smartphone OR "mobile phone" OR "cell phone") AND (societ* OR cultur*)
Search engine OMNI located on the library home page, allows you to search across many of the library's collections simultaneously. Including books, ebooks, journal titles, games, music, videos, government information, maps, and more.
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Business Source Complete
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
See our list of recommended databases on the Political Science subject guide, which includes:
Why use journal articles?
- They are more up-to-date than most books.
- They are “peer reviewed” by other scholars in the field who check for academic integrity.
- Every article will contain cited references that appear as footnotes and/or bibliographies.
For current Canadian newspapers/news
To search for a specific newspaper, choose "Journals" option in OMNI, type the exact title, then "Search inside" to retrieve articles within that single newspaper.