Welcome to the course guide for PSYC 3500. Here, you will find a number of resources to help you get started using library tools and research tips to get started with your research.
A detailed Subject Guide for Psychology is available and provides a list of databases, handbooks, encyclopedia, dictionaries, databases, and more.
Omni search introduction
This short introductory video gives users an overview of the new library search tool Omni.
PsycINFO is a database of abstracts of literature in the field of psychology. It is produced by the American Psychological Association. Click below to access the PsycInfo database.
Basics of PsycInfo
Using Subject Headings/Thesaurus in PsycInfo
Citation Chaining, finding additional databases
This video discusses a research strategy known as "citation chaining". This can be valuable when you have a number of relevant research articles but want to find additional articles on a similar topic. In this video we explore the idea of citation chaining backward as well as citation chaining forward.
American Psychological Association Resources
The American Psychological Association is currently in its 7th Edition. The citation guide below links to resources from the guide, the APA Style blog as well as the OWL Purdue, which contains resources on in-text citation and the References page, as well as APA sample papers, slide presentations, and the APA classroom poster.
Research Method Resources
- Towards a more perfect psychology: improving trust, accuracy, and transparency in research (2017)
- A new narrative for psychology (2017)
- Analysing qualitative data in psychology (2016)
- Practicing research: Why you're are part of the research process even when you think you're not (2016)
- The qualitative vision for psychology (2016)
- Creating models in psychological research (2015)
- Online research methods for psychologists (2015)
- Research and evaluation in education and psychology (2015)
- Longitudinal analysis : modeling within-person fluctuation and change (2015)
- Oxford handbook of quantitative methods (2015)
- APA dictionary of statistics and research methods (2014)
- Nonparametric statistics for applied research (2014)
- Straightforward statistics: understanding the tools of research (2014)
- Research methods and statistics in psychology (2014)
- APA handbook for research methods in psychology (2012)
- Research methods in psychology : investigating human behavior (2012)
- Handbook of research methods for studying daily life (2012)
- Non-experimental research methods (2017)
- Behind the statistics (2017)
- Key issues in psychological research (2017)
- Ethics in psychological research (2013)
- Psychology research in context (2008)
- Experimental research methods in psychology (2008)
- Exploring qualitative methods (2006)
Children Research Resources
- The Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
- Canadian Psychological Association Developmental Section: Executive
- Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development
- Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child & Youth Mental Health
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Ottawa-Carleton District School Board Research
- How-to guides are a great way to learn about additional topics in the library. Our complete How-to Guides can be found here.
- Site licensed software IBM SPSS Statistics & AMOS can be found here.
- The library also provides statistical consulting, details can be found here.