Welcome to the course guide for PSYC 3805. Here, you will find a number of resources to help you get started using library tools and research tips to get started with your research.
Subject Specialist for Psychology: Ryan Tucci
A detailed Subject Guide for Psychology is available and provides a list of databases, handbooks, encyclopedia, dictionaries, databases, and more.
Using Omni, the library search box
Our Omni help guide (with a live demo video) will provide you with helpful information including:
- Differences between Omni and the Library Catalogue
- Differences between Omni and Summon
- How to find books using Omni
- How to find articles using Omni
- How to login to Omni to access your library account
- How to reset your password
- How to export your saved search and borrowing history from your old Library Catalogue account
- How to configure Google Scholar to access articles through Omni
- Known issues with Omni
Finding databases on the library website
The library has access to a number of subject specific databases but finding them isn't always easy. This short video shows you how to find database on our library website.
Generate ideas for a topic and develop a keyword strategy
Generating ideas and developing a keyword strategy will help you find more relevant material when conducting searches. Below you will find a video that discusses this idea in greater detail. Boolean Operators are a great way to start developing stronger search strategies, this research tip sheet outlines some of the more popular Boolean Operators as well as outlines some additional search strategies.
Finding articles from citations
This video breaks down the components of a citation and helps you find articles using that citation.
Locating sources from an existing article (citation chaining)
Citation chaining can be a useful research strategy for finding more relevant/recent research on your topic. This video looks at citation chaining as a research strategy.
Research Method Resources
- SAGE Research Methods
Project Planner- This tool is designed to guide you through your research project.
- Towards a more perfect psychology: improving trust, accuracy, and transparency in research (2017)
- A new narrative for psychology (2017)
- Analysing qualitative data in psychology (2016)
- Practicing research: Why you're are part of the research process even when you think you're not (2016)
- The qualitative vision for psychology (2016)
- Creating models in psychological research (2015)
- Online research methods for psychologists (2015)
- Research and evaluation in education and psychology (2015)
- Longitudinal analysis : modeling within-person fluctuation and change (2015)
- Oxford handbook of quantitative methods (2015)
- APA dictionary of statistics and research methods (2014)
- Nonparametric statistics for applied research (2014)
- Straightforward statistics: understanding the tools of research (2014)
- Research methods and statistics in psychology (2014)
- APA handbook for research methods in psychology (2012)
- Research methods in psychology : investigating human behavior (2012)
- Handbook of research methods for studying daily life (2012)
- Non-experimental research methods (2017)
- Behind the statistics (2017)
- Key issues in psychological research (2017)
- Ethics in psychological research (2013)
- Psychology research in context (2008)
- Experimental research methods in psychology (2008)
- Exploring qualitative methods (2006)