The following are carefully curated resources to help you with find what you need on the StatCan website. It contains and describes helpful data resources and our Data Table Find Guides. Check back often as this page will be updated regularly! And if there’s anything you think we should add, let us know by emailing DataServices@Carleton.ca
2021 Census Research Kit | Canada at a Glance | Canada Year Books | DataBytes | Data Hubs | Data Literacy Training | Data Portals | Data Table Find Guides | Data Visualizations: Interactive | DLI Survival Guide | Fact Sheets | Infographics | InfoGuide | Maps | Power From Data! | StatCan Webpage Presentation | StatsCAN Plus
This toolkit will help familiarize you with the Census and key sources of data and other information. It will show you: topics covered by the 2021 Census, examples of research involving Census data, and Census 2021 reference tools and sources for your next research project.
- Presents current statistics on Canadian society, including subjects such as the population, education, health, prices and the economy, among others. Updated annually, this booklet includes 26 entries from 1995-2020 and is a very useful reference for those who want quick access to a current statistical portrait of Canada.
Presented in almanac style, the 2006-2012 Canada Year Book contains more than 500 pages of tables, charts and succinct analytical articles on every major area of Statistics Canada's expertise. The Canada Year Book is the premier reference on the social and economic life of Canada and its citizens.
The Historical Collection offers digital yearbooks from 1867-1967
- These short bytes provide a variety of statistics from a variety of products to tell a visual, statistical story on many different topics.
- Data Hubs are a great starting point and offer information, data and statistics that are often products of collaboration with various Government departments and external partners.
- Accessibility Data Hub
- Canada and the World Statistics Hub
- Canadian Statistical Geospatial Explorer Hub
- Dimensions of Poverty Hub
- Early Learning and Childcare Information Hub
- Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Statistics Hub
- Infrastructure Statistics Hub
- Quality of Life Hub
- Small Business Hub
- Sustainable Development Goals Data Hub
- Transportation Data and Information Hub
"The Data Literacy Training Initiative's learning catalogue provides a wealth of resources aimed at those who are new to data, or those who have some experience with data but may need a refresher or want to expand their knowledge." (The Daily, May 3, 2021)
The training is organized around a data journey which represents the key stages of the data process and is not necessarily linear. It is intended to represent the different steps and activities that could be undertaken to produce meaningful information from data, from collecting the data; to cleaning, exploring, describing and understanding the data; to analyzing the data; and—lastly—to communicating the story the data tell to others:
- These portals offer data from a wide set of data sources on a wide variety of topics. Different sections of the pages can include: features, publications, key tables, key indicators, visualization products, etc... Example portals include:
Document:Statistics Canada Classifications.pdf (1.28 MB)
- Statistics Canada: Finding Data (.pdf)
- Statistics Canada: Finding Data based on Geographies 1 (.pdf)
- Statistics Canada: Finding Data based on Geographies 2 (.pdf)
- Statistics Canada: Key Indicators (.pdf)
A variety of interactive visualization tools that present data in a graphical form. These tools provide a useful way of interpreting trends behind our data on various social and economic topics. This guide include the following interactives (and much more):
- Offers an overview of the Data Liberation Initiative membership, access and a helpful and thorough glossary of DLI-related terms.
- Short, focused, single-theme analysis on a variety of topics. Some examples include:
- 2021 Census Fact Sheets
- Aboriginal Peoples Fact Sheet
- Canada's International Trade and Investment Country Fact Sheet
- Education Indicators in Canada: Fact Sheet
- Emergency Preparedness and Resilience: Community-based Fact Sheets, 2014
- Environment Fact Sheets
- Health Fact Sheets
- Health Human Resources and Education in Canada: Fact Sheets
- Housing Experiences in Canada Fact Sheets
- Transition Homes in Canada: National, Provincial and Territorial Fact Sheets
- Victims of Police-Related Violent Crime in Canada: National, Provincial and Territorial Fact Sheets, 2016
- Graphic representations of information intended to present information quickly and clearly. There are 685 entries (and counting) on a breadth of topics including: agriculture and food, business and consumer services, culture, digital economy and society, and many more!
- Statistics Canada: Infographics (.pdf)
This guide is a great starting point to assist with finding historical resources. It lists sources of historical statistics produced by Statistics Canada and its predecessor agencies. The guide also lists sources of information about the history of the Canadian census, surveys and statistical programs, and Statistics Canada.
- Statistic Canada census maps show Canada and its geographic areas for which census data are tabulated and disseminated. This category includes static reference and thematic maps as well as the interactive mapping applications GeoSearch and Census Program Data Viewer.
Training tool for students, teachers and the general population that will help them in getting the most from statistics. This resource aims to help readers: gain confidence in using statistical information, appreciate the importance of statistical information in today's society, make critical use of information that is presented to them.
- Presentation given by the Data Services Team at DLI National Training in November 2022
A new offering that offers data insights on topics Canadians are talking about, and delves into the numbers behind the issue of the day. Sign up to be notified by email when new information is posted!