If you're not sure where to start your research this guide will point you to some of the best starting points. Don't forget, you can always get in touch directly with any questions you may have. For ASL course listings and descriptions see the undergraduate calendar.
The following is just a small selection of the books we have on American Sign Language, sign languages in general, and deaf culture.
NOTE: you can request print books through our Curbside Pick-up service
- American Sign Language dictionary
- The American Sign Language handshape dictionary, 2nd edition <print only>
- The Canadian dictionary of ASL <print only>
- The Gallaudet dictionary of American Sign Language <print only>
- Deaf around the world: the impact of language <print only>
- The Oxford handbook of deaf studies, language, and education <newer edition print only>
- Research methods in sign language studies: a practical guide
- Sage deaf studies encyclopedia
- Sign language: an international handbook.
- Sign Languages <print only>
- Significant gestures: a history of American Sign Language <print only>
- Grammar, gesture, and meaning in American Sign Language.
- Linguistics of American Sign Language: an introduction (5th ed.)<print only>
- The syntax of American Sign Language <print only>
Sociolinguistics, Discourse, Pragmatics
- Discourse in signed languages <print only>
- It's not what you sign, it's how you sign it: Politeness in American Sign Language <print only>
- Sociolinguistic variation in American sign language.
- The sociolinguistics of sign languages
If you're looking for journal articles for an essay related to deaf culture, sign languages etc. try searching:
- Omni: our easy-to-use search tool, right on the Library home page OR
- You can search some of our other recommended databases:
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA) : for more linguistics related articles (e.g. grammar of sign language, syntax, morphology etc) as well as other language related aspects
- ERIC: for articles related to teaching and learning of sign language and deaf education in general
- Sociological Abstracts: for articles related to deaf culture and society
- Scholars Portal Journals: a full-text collection of thousands of scholarly journals, covers all subject areas
- Web of Science Core Collection : Don't let the name fool you: covers social sciences topics too. You'll be able to see if other articles have cited the ones you find in your search
The Library has several journals that focus on deaf studies. Below are a few selected titles
- Journal of deaf studies and deaf education
- American annals of the deaf
- Sign language and linguistics
- Sign language studies
To find out if our Library has access to a particular journal, look up the title using our Journal search in Omni
Omni has a feature that then allows you to search just within the contents of that specific journal:
- Do a Keyword search in Omni.
- Once you get your results, limit the "Resource Type" to "videos" . (NOTE: you will probably have to click on the "Show More" to see the video options)
- If you only want to see videos available via online streaming, limit the "Availability" to "Available online"
- You can request physical DVDs through our Curbside Pick-up service.
A few selections:
- American Sign Language. Level 1 <streaming>
- Beyond Silence (German with English subtitles) <DVD>
- Children of a lesser god <DVD>
- The Dance of words (Quebec sign language) <streaming>
- An introductory course in American Sign Language <streaming>
- Koko: a talking gorilla <DVD>
- Lending a hand: Sign languages and the deaf <streaming>
- The silent child <streaming>
- SigningSavvy: look up words, see videos of sign for that word
- ASLU: links to lessons, practice exercises...
- American Sign Language Browser Videos of thousands of ASL signs. Free.
- ASLPro.com Videos dictionaries of ASL signs and other learning tools.
- Search on YouTube for American Sign Language or American Sign Language Lessons, for example:
- Marlee Signs: free iOS app, lessons with Marlee Matlin, Academy Award winning deaf-actress
- Search your iOS or Android app store for other sign language apps
Associations & Organizations:
- American Sign Language Teachers Association
- Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada
- Canadian Association of Educators of the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
- Canadian Association of the Deaf
- Deaf Culture Centre: Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf
Canadian Hard of Hearing Association
- Ontario Assocation for the Deaf
- National Association of the Deaf (US)
- National Educational Association of Disabled Students (NEADS)
- Royal Assocation of Deaf People (UK)
- Deaf-resource Library
- Gallaudet University Library: Deaf Research
- Deaf Studies Infoguides: Rochester Institute of Technology Click on Deaf Studies, and then look under the Subject Guides for different guides based on topics.