This guide provides links to primary sources for the study of international diplomacy particularly from an historical perspective
- Documents on International Affairs 1928-1953
- Documents in this collection can be located by using the Consolidated Index to the Survey of International Affairs 1920-1938 and Documents on International Affairs 1920-1938
- EuroDocs: Online Sources for European History
- International Agreements and Diplomatic Documents (The Avalon Project - Yale Law School)
- Internet Modern History Sourcebook (Fordham University)
- World War I Document Archive
- The practice of diplomacy its evolution, theory, and administration
- A history of diplomacy
- War & diplomacy : from World War I to the War on Terrorism
- New public diplomacy in the 21st century a comparative study of policy and practice
- DFATD Digital Library
- Canada. Dept. of External Affairs Documents on Canadian External Relations v. 1 (1908-1918) -
- Canada. Dept. of External Affairs. Statements and Speeches
- Canadian Foreign Policy 1955-1965: Selected Speeches and Documents (available in print and online)
- Canadian Foreign Policy 1966-1976: Selected Speeches and Documents (available in print and online)
- Documents on Canadian Foreign Policy, 1917-1939
- Promoting Canadian Studies Abroad Soft Power and Cultural Diplomacy
- The Origins of Public Diplomacy in US Statecraft Uncovering a Forgotten Tradition
- The history of United States cultural diplomacy : 1770 to the present day
- Historical dictionary of U.S. diplomacy from World War I through World War II
Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States (available in print and online)
Department of State Foreign Relations of the United States
The Foreign Relations of the United States series presents the official documentary historical record of major U.S. foreign policy decisions and significant diplomatic activity. The series which is produced by the State Department's Office of the Historian, began in 1861. The volumes published over the last two decades increasingly contain declassified records from all the foreign affairs agencies.
Selected volumes of the Foreign Relations Series from the Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon, Ford, Carter and Regan administrations are available on the web site of the Office of the Historian
Selected volumes from 1861-1960 are available from the University of Wisconsin-Madison web site
Carleton University Library's holdings: Foreign Relations of the United States, 1861-1956 (microform) Papers relating to the foreign relations of the United States(available in print and online) continued by Foreign relations of the United States: diplomatic papers (available in print and online)
- U.S Department of State Archive information released online prior to Janurary 20, 2001
- U.S. Department of State Archive 2001 - 2009
- Foreign Relations between Latin America and the Caribbean States 1930-1944
- Peace and War: United States Foreign Policy 1931-1941
- Nazi-Soviet Relations, 1939-1941
- A Decade of American Foreign Policy: Basic Documents, 1941-1949
- American Foreign Policy: Basic Documents, 1950-1955
- American Foreign Policy: Current Documents, 1956-1990
- Diplomatic Correspondence with Great Britain 1933-1945 (The FDR Library and Digital Archives) See also: The German Diplomatic Files and the Vatican Diplomatic Files
- Documents on American Foreign Relations, 1938-1966, 1968-1970 issued as a companion to The United States in World Affairs, 1931-1970
- The National Security Archive
- Despatches from United States Consuls in Ottawa, 1877-1906
- British Diplomatic Oral History Programme (BDOHP) Transcripts of interviews of former diplomats or other officials who played a significant role in events bearing on international relations. Includes James Cross, who was kidnaped by the F.L.Q. in 1970
- British-Soviet Relations in the Cold War 1943-1953 (LSE !deas)
- Historical Papers: Documents from the Archives (Gt. Brit. Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
- British and Foreign State Papers v. 1 (1812/14) - v. 170 (1968) (print and online)
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. British Documents on the Origins of the War, 1898-1914
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. British Documents on Foreign Affairs: Reports and Papers from the Foreign Office Confidential Print
- Series A: Russia, 1859-1914 6 v.
- Series A: The Societ Union, 1917-1939 17 v.
- Series C: North America, 1837-1914 15 v.
- Series C: North America, 1919-1939 25 v.
- Series C: North America, 1940-1945 5 v.
- Series G: Africa, 1914-1939 30 v.
- Series H: The First World War, 1914-1918 12 v.
- Series I: The Paris Peace Conference of 1919 15 v.
- Series J: The League of Nations, 1918-1941 10 v.
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. Documents on British Foreign Policy, 1919-1939
- First Series. 1919-1925 v. 1-27
- Series 1A. 1925-1930 v. 1-7
- Second Series. 1929-1938 v. 1-21
- Third Series. 1938-1939 v. 1-10
- Great Britain. Foreign and Commonweath Office. Documents on British Policy Overseas. 1945-1970s
- Series I (1945-1950)
- Series II (1950-1955)
- Series III (1960) -
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. Great Britain and the European Crisis: Correspondence, and Statements in Parliament, Together with an Introductory Narrative of Events
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. The Affairs of Arabia, 1905-1906 2 v.
- Great Britain. Foreign Office. The Affairs of Kuwait, 1896-1905 2 v.
- Great Britain. Legation (Holy See) Anglo-Vatican Relations, 1914-1939
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons. Collected Diplomatic Documents Relating to the Outbreak of the European War [Command paper Cd. 7860] 1. List of principal persons mentioned --2. British diplomatic correspondence --3 French yellow Book --4 Russian orange book -- 5 Belgian grey book. Appendix regarding Anglo-Belgian relations --6 Serbian blue book Appendix containing Signor Giolitti's speech of 5th December, 1914 --7 German white book. Appendix containing Dr. von Bethmann-Hollweg's speech of 4th August, 1914 --8 Austro-Hungarian red book part 1, part 2 and part 3 --9 Documents published subsequently --Index
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons. Documents Concerning German-Polish Relations and the Outbreak of Hostilities between Great Britain and Germany 3rd September, 1939 [Cmd. 6106] The British War Blue Book
- Oesterreichisch-Ungarischen Document zum Kriegsausbruch/ Austro-Hungarian documents on the outbreak of war 1 July 1914 - 27 Auguist 1914
- Czechoslovakia. Ministry of Foreign Affairs. New Documents on the History of Munich
- France. Ministere des affaires etrangeres
- Germany. Auswaertiges Amt. Diplomatic correspondence between August 1, 1914 - April 6, 1917
- Documents relatifs a l'historire des origines de la guerre 
- German Diplomatic Documents, 1871-1914 This work is based upon Die Grosse politik des Europaeischen kabinette, 1871-1914 and is a selection of those documents which concern Great Britain. It contains not only the documents, but the German notes as well
- Akten zur Deutschen auswartigen politik, 1918-1945 (Series A, 1-14; Series B 1-21; Series C only in English translation see below; Series D 1-10; Series E 1-8)
- Documents on German Foreign Policy, 1918-1945. Series C (1933-1937)
- Documents on German Foreign Policy, 1918-1945. Series D (1937-1945)
- Dokumente zur Aussenpolitik des Deutschen Demokratischen Republik 1969-1985
- Nazi-Soviet Relations, 1931-1941: Documents from the Archives of the German Foreign Office
- Official German Documents Relating to the World War
- Outbreak of the World War: German Documents collected by Karl Kautsky 
- I Documenti diplomatici italiani (not all the documents are in Italian)
- Documents on New Zealand External Relations: v. 1Australian-New Zealand Agreement 1944; v. 2 Surrender and Occupation of Japan; v. 3 ANZUS Pact and the Treaty of Peace with Japan
- Poland. Ambasada. Polish-Soviet Relations, 1918-1943: Official Documents
- Oikabd. Embassy (Great Britain). Poland, Germany and European Peace: Official Documents 1944-1948
- Poland. Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Official Documents Concerning Polish-German and Polish-Soviet Relations 1933-1939: the Polish White Book
- General Sikorski Historical Institute.Documents on Polish-Soviet Relations, 1939-1945
Russia (Soviet Union)
- British-Soviet Relations in the Cold War 1943-1953 (LSE Ideas)
- Debras, Jan ed. Soviet Documents on Foreign Policy 3 v.
- Russia. Ministersvo inostrannykh del;. Un livre noir, diplomatie d'avant-guerre d'apres les documents des archives russes, novembre 1910-juillet 1914
- Soviet Union. Commission for the Publication of Diplomatic Documents. Correspondence between the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the U.S.S.R. and the Presidents of the U.S.A. and the Prime Ministers of Great Britain during the great patriotic war of 1941-1945 2 v.
- Soviet Union. Ministerstvo inostrannykh del
- Sovetsko-bolgarskie otnosheniia 1944-1948 gg.: dokumentyi i materially
- Sovetsko-Chekhoslovatskie otnosheniia vo vremiia velikoi otechestvennoi voiny 1941-1945 gg.: dokumenty i materialy
- Sovetsko-Chekhoslovatskie otnosheniia 1945-1960 gg: dokumenty i materially
- Soviety Union. Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Soviet Peace Efforts on the Eve of World War II (September 1938 - August 1939)