Begin with the company's 10K or annual report - usually found on their website or by doing a google search of company name and 10K or annual report. Read the Management Discussion and Analysis - (MD&A) section of the Annual Report or 10k. Read the letter to the shareholders from the CEO in the company's annual report.
Global (includes Canadian data)
- Bloomberg Professional
- Mergent Online
- EDGAR - Database of public company filings from the SEC.
- Nexis Uni
- Passport - Select Companies from the top tab and key in your company name. Select the relevant segment and open the profile. Look in the table of contents for a SWOT analysis.
- Business Source Complete - Search for your company and limit to SWOT from filters listed below the search box.
If there is no SWOT for your company, try a competitor. External factors will affect all companies in an industry.
Bloomberg - Type ANR when on a company's page to get analyst reports.
- JUST Capital - provides information and rankings on how large corporations perform on issues that matter most to the public.
- Forbes - The Companies With The Best CSR Reputations In The World
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World index
- The Top 1000 from the Globe & Mail published each year in the June issued of the Report on Business Magazine. Search Top 1000, sort by most recent first.
- The FP500
- Fortune 500
- Bloomberg Professional
- WRDS Wharton Research Data Services - Provides access to Compustat and CRSP data.
- Factiva - Select Companies/Markets tab at the top.
- TSX E-review
- Bloomberg - Type a company ticker, hit the yellow CORP key, followed by GO for a list of bonds issued by the company and its subsidiaries.
- FP bonds. Government
- FP bonds. Corporate
- Bloomberg Professional - Type ANR when on a company's page to get analyst reports.
Structural Analysis of an Industry using Porter's 5 Forces
- Begin with Business Source Complete
Start here for industry analyses. Select Industry Profiles from the Publication Type list located within the Search Options under the search box. Enter the industry and country of interest into the search box. For example, "Wireless Telecommunications Services in Canada" provides an analysis using Porter's 5 Forces.
Search under BI for aggregate data
Select the Report Search tab from the menu. Next, select the industry of interest and then the geographical region.
Go to Industries at the top of the page, select the relevant industry or industries and narrow by country or countries. Tip - choose the industry plus specific parts of the industry as there is often more than one industry profile.
Mouse over Companies/Markets from the menu bar at the top of the page and select Industry. Then, select the industry from the list provided.
Under Browse by, select Topic. Then select Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter the industry name in the search box.
- HighBeam Business: Industry Reports
Free industry reports from The Gale Group on US industries.
Specialized reports from reputable sources
Global Auto Report from Scotiabank
J.D Power offers some info on ratings and customer satisfaction surveys for free.
Look to investment and consulting firms for research on industries:
- Look for valuable information and data from trade associations. Google the industry + country + associations to find trade associations
- Canadian Toy Association
- Retail Council of Canada
- American Apparel & Footwear Association
- Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA)
- Canada - Statistics Canada CANSIM II
- Canadian Industry Statistics (Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 (use PDF to search)
- United States - Census Bureau
- United States - Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Visualizations of Industry Data
Trade Journals and Business Magazines
- Business Source Complete - limit to Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals
- EconLit with Full Text
- Emerald Management eJournals
- Google Scholar - be sure to read the Search Guide for tips on searching and access
- PAIS Index (Public Affairs Information Service)
- Web of Science
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
- Bloomberg News
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs - Provides full text to Canadian business journals and magazines.
- Canadian Newsstream - Access to over 280 Canadian news sources
- Eureka - Full-text Canadian French and English newspapers from Alberta, the Atlantic provinces, Québec and aboriginal communities. Includes full-text transcripts of radio and television broadcasts from CBC, CTV and SRC.
- Factiva - Globe and Mail and the Wall Street Journal live here
- PressReader - PDFs to more than 2300 newspapers from 97 countries in over 55 languages.
- Wire Report - The leading news service covering Canada's rapidly converging telecom and media sectors.
- Journalist's resource: research on today's news topics
The following titles are available online:
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- The Blackwell encyclopedia of management
- Essential investment: an A-Z guide
- Encyclopedic dictionary of international finance and banking
- A dictionary of finance and banking
- Oxford scholarship online - select Economics & Finance
- Vocabulaire de la gestion des finances publiques. Vocabulary of government finance management
- The encyclopedia of commodity and financial spreads
- The Federal Reserve System: an enc yclopedia
- Oxford handbook of banking
- The banking crisis handbook
- The handbook of commodity investing
- The credit derivatives handbook: global perspectives, innovations, and market drivers
- The money markets handbook
- Taming the money sharks
- The risk modeling evaluation handbook: rethinking financial risk management methodologies in the global capital markets
- The valuation handbook: valuation techniques from today's top practitioners