This research guide will help you locate electronic and print resources about the politics and government of Latin America.
- Oxford Reference Online Premium
- A political and economic dictionary of Latin America F1406 .C35 2004 (print and online)
- Encyclopedia of Latin America F1406 .E5155 2010
- The Cambridge history of Latin America F1410.C1834
- Encyclopedia of Latin American politics F1410 .E56 2002
- Encyclopedia of Government and Politics JA61.E53 2004
- Latin America : a political dictionary F1406.R67 1992
- Dictionary of Latin American Spanish phrases and expressions PC4822 .H36 2002
- Handbook of Latin American studies F1401.H23
- Political handbook and atlas of the world JF37 .P6
- Mexico : a global studies handbook F1229 .H83 2008
- An atlas and survey of Latin American history
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS)
Selected bibliography of books and articles published in and about Latin America REF F1401.H23.
- Country Studies: Area Handbook Series (U.S. Federal Research Division)
Significant historical and country information about Latin American and Caribbean governments. Carleton University Library holds 111 titles in the Country Studies series
- EIU.com (Economist Intelligence Unit)
- The World Factbook (U.S. Central Intelligence Agency)
- Country Studies Library of Congress. Federal Research Division.
We provide selective coverage to documentation from Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico.
Explore your topic
Introducing Omni - search across many of the library's collections simultaneously. Including books, ebooks, journal titles, games, music, videos, maps, and more.
- HAPI Online
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- PAIS Index
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- IHS Jane's: Defence & Security Intelligence & Analysis
- America History and Life
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
- Gender Studies Database
- Political Science Database (previously ProQuest Political Science)
- Dissertations and Theses Global
- Latin American Pamphlet Digital Collection
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
- OECD iLibrary
Fulltext eBook Collections:
Cambridge University Press eBooks
Columbia International Affairs Online
Oxford University Press eBooks
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
Canadian Publishers Collection
Wiley Online Journals
This is a list of suggested journals in the field of Latin Politics. Some of these publications are available only in print while others are available online or in print and electronic format.
- Political Database of the Americas (Georgetown University) -source for political data and constitutional and electoral information for Latin American countries.
- Brazilian Government Document Digitization Project
- Internet resources for Latin America (New Mexico State University)
- Latin American and Caribbean Government Document Project Latin American and Caribbean official documents available on the Internet.
- Latin American Network Information Center (University of Texas at Austin)
- UNECLAC (United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean)
- Our Americas
- Brazilian Government Documents (Center for Research Libraries)
- Digital Library of the Caribbean(dLOC)
Provides historical information on a wide variety of topics including politics, economics, science, arts, and sports.
- George Washington University - The National Security Archive
- Latin American Development Archive (LADARK)
LADARK is a database of working papers related to economic and social development in Latin America.
- Latin American Government Documents Archive (LAGDA)
Lists ministerial and presidential documents from 18 Latin American and Caribbean countries
- Latin American Open Archives Portal
"The portal provides access to working documents, pre-prints, research papers, statistical documents, and other difficult-to-access materials from the "deep Web."
Data & statistics
A portal for statistical data collected by the United Nations and its related international organizations containing over 55 million data points that cover a wide range of themes including Agriculture, Education, Employment, Energy, Environment, Government Finance, Health, HIV/AIDS, Human Development, Industry, Information and Communication Technology, National Accounts, Population, Refugees, Tourism, Trade, as well as the UN Sustainable Development Goals and Millennium Development Goals indicators.
- World Bank Data Catalog
Links to a wide range of data resources including World Development Indicators freely available from the World Bank.
- World Bank Open Data
- World Bank - open knowledge repository
- OECD Statistics portal
Access to selected free statistics via Stat.Extracts. The Library also subscribes to the more comprehensive OECD i-Library.
- IMF e-Library
- World Trade Organization International Trade and Tariff data
- Inter-American Development Bank data | Latin Macro Watch | Statistics and Databases
- MOxLAD Database
Online resource for comparable economic and social data series from 1900-2000 for 20 countries in Latin America.
- Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N. provides time-series and cross sectional data relating to food and agriculture for some 200 countries
- ILOSTAT Database (formerly LABORSTA) - datasets with annual and infra-annual labour market statistics.
- Inter-American Development Bank
- Organizations of American States (OAS)
- Parlamento Latinoamericano
- Estadísticas Históricas de México
- Latin America and the Caribbean : selected economic and social data (USAID)
Includes numerous tables and graphs with data on social indicators, economic, trade, and foreign assistance
- Latin American Election Statistics: a Guide to Sources
Provides a chronology of elections and political parties since independence
- Latin American Public Opinion Project (LAPOP) (via Vanderbilt University)
- Statistics and Databases (Inter-American Development Bank)
- Latin American Network Information Center
- Center for Latin American Studies
- Americas Barometer
- Digital Library of the Caribbean
- Americas Resources: Chatham House
- Archive Of Political Parties And Elections In Latin America (APPELA)
- FOCAL: The Canadian Foundation for the Americas
- Latin American Studies Association (LASA)
- OAS: Organization of American States
- Central American Integration System
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- Parlamento Latinoamericano (Official website of the Latin American Parliament)
- Organization of American States (democracy, human rights, security, and development)
- LACER-LACEA Repository- access to other repositories containing books, reports, journals, working papers and databases on Latin American economic and related topics.
- Virtual Health Library -provides access from 1982 to government publications, technical and scientific reports related to the health sciences that have been published in Latin American countries
Latin American and Spanish Videos Freely Available on the InternetThis guide, produced at SUNY-Albany, gives links to dozens of different sites that have free educational videos in Spanish.
Latin American Government Documents Archive (LAGDA)- This site indexes and archives information from the websites of Latin American governments, which may change frequently.
Directorio Web de Archivos Iberoamericanos: provides links to over 300 Latin American archives
BBC News: Caribbean (Archive)
BBC News: Latin America & Caribbean (Archives)
- Canadian Newsstand
- Nexus Uni
- Roubini Global Economics excellent news monitoring service
- Commonwealth Secretariat: Latest News
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
- LANIC Newsroom: Current & Recent News
- News from the Community (CARICOM)
- Thomson-Nelson Guide to Research and Writing in Political Science JA86 .C43 2006
- Political science research methods JA73 .J64 2012
- The Political Science Student Writer's Manual and Reader's Guide JA86 .S39 2006
- Politics on the Internet: A Student Guide. JA86.B83 2005 (print and online)
- A Student's guide for Writing in Political Science JA86.M37 (print and online)
- Writing in Political Science: A Practical Guide JA86.S36 2005
- How to map arguments in political science JA71.P37 2007 (print and online)
- Information skills: finding and using the right resources ZA3075.G75
- The postgraduate research handbook : succeed with your MA, MPhil, EdD and PhD LB 2371.W576 2008
- Student guide to research in the digital age : how to locate and evaluate information sources ZA3075.S74 2006
- Your research project: how to manage it (online)
- The essential guide : research writing across the disciplines LB2369.L399 2005
How to write a literature review
- How to write a literature review (Concordia University Libraries)
- Conducting a Literature Review
- Literature reviews (University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill)
- Conducting research literature reviews : from the Internet to paperQ180.55.M4 F56 2010
- Doing your literature review : traditional and systematic techniques H62 .J44 2011
- How to research Q180.55.M4 B59 2010 [chapter 4] (print and online)
- Information skills : finding and using the right resources ZA3075 .G75 2010 [chapter 2]
- The literature review : a step-by-step guide for students RSV LB2369 .R525 2008
- Social research methods : qualitative and quantitative approaches HM571 .N48 2011 [chapter 5]
- Social work research and evaluation : foundations of evidence-based practice HV11 .S589 2011 [extensively covered in Part III]
- Student guide to research in the digital age : how to locate and evaluate information sources ZA3075 .S74 2006
- Systematic approaches to a successful literature reviewRSV LB1047.3 .B66 2016
- Telling a research story: writing a literature reviewLB2389.F43 2009
- Writing literature reviews : a guide for students of the social and behavioral sciences H62.G35 2017