There are a number of error messages you might encounter when trying to connect to our databases from off-campus.
When Logging In
These messages will appear after you enter your information on the Library Proxy login page.
"We were unable to authenticate you"
This means that you entered your login information incorrectly or that there is a problem with your account. Fill out the Account Assistance form and we will help you.
"Authentication Error" or "You are not authorized for access to this database"
This means that there's a reason why you in particular do not have access to the database:
- You are not registered for this term, or have not completed registration. The license agreements that we sign only provide access for currently-registered students, or currently-employed faculty and staff.
- You very recently registered or obtained a new Campus Card. Your information may not have been transferred to the library system yet. Contact the Library Services Desk to manually update your status.
- You reported your Campus Card as lost or stolen. We block such accounts to prevent abuse. This will be fixed once you get a new Campus Card.
- You completed your studies at Carleton. The license agreements that we sign specify that access is only for currently-registered students, or currently-employed faculty and staff. Carleton alumni may access select databases from off-campus; see Services for Alumni for details
- You are a Carleton affiliated researcher trying to access one of the statistical databases. Our licensing agreements for statistical databases are quite stringent. Contact Data Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please note that almost all our databases are accessible from within the library without needing to login.
After Logging In
If you login successfully and see an error message similar to:
To allow /connect?session to work, your EZproxy administrator must first authorize this within the ezproxy.cfg file Within this database's section of the file, the following line must be added:
The EZproxy server must then be restarted to make this change take effect.
Please fill out the Connection Problems form and provide details about how you got to the database.