On this page:
- Basic Guidelines for Citing Conference Publications
- Citation Examples
- List names in the order they appear in the text
- Enter editor’s/author’s surname followed by no more than 2 initials (e.g. Smith JD)
- List all editors/authors, regardless of the number
- Enter the title of a book as it appears in the original document
- Only capitalize the first word of a title, proper nouns, proper adjectives, acronyms, and initialisms
- Use a colon followed by a space to separate a title from a subtitle
Conference Number and Title
- Use arabic numbers. E.g.: Instead of “Second” or “II”, use 2nd
- Enter the title of the conference as it appears in the original document
- Capitalize all significant words in the title
Place of conference and place of publication
- Place of conference is defined as the city where the conference took place
- Place of publication is defined as the city where the proceedings were published
- For U.S and Canadian cities, include the abbreviated state or province (e.g. Ottawa (ON), Denver (CO) )
- For cities outside the U.S. and Canada, include the country name or ISO country code. (e.g. Malaga (ES) or Malaga (Spain) )
- Record the name of the publisher as it appears in the publication
Date of publication
- Always give the year of publication
- Include the month of publication, if desired, after the year. E.g. 2008 Jan
- Abbreviate months to the first three letters (e.g. January becomes Jan)
- When appropriate, abbreviate page numbers as such: “p.344-6” instead of “p.344-346”
1. Author AA. Title of paper. In: Editor AA, Editor BB, Editor CC, editor(s). Title of book. Proceedings of Title of Conference; Date of conference; Location of conference. Place of publication: Publisher; Date of publication. Page numbers.
2. Leonard KJ, Winkelman W. Developing electronic patient records: employing interactive methods to ensure patient involvement. In: Ferreira de Oliveira MJ, editor. Accessibility and quality of health services. Proceedings of the 28th Meeting of the European Working Group on Operational Research Applied to Health Services (ORAHS); 2002 Jul 28-Aug 2; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Frankfurt (Germany): Peter Lang; c2004. p. 241-55.
3. Author AA. Title of paper. In: Title of Conference [Internet]; Date of conference; Location of conference. Place of publication: Publisher; Date of publication [cited YYYY MMM DD]; p. page numbers. Available from: URL or Database Name.
4. Kumar D, Subramanyan P, Prasad A, Kaimal A, Santhosh A, Nair B, Achuthan K, Diwakar S. Mathematical models as bioscience educational tools. In: 2018 International conference on advances in computing, communications, and informatics (ICACCI); 2019 Sep 19-22; Bangalore, India. IEEE; 2018 Dec 03 [cited 2019 Mar 7]; p. 1552-6. Available from: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=8554810&tag=1 ...
5. Editor AA, Editor BB, editor(s). Title of book. Title of the Conference Proceedings; Date of conference; Location of conference. Place of publication: Publisher's name; Year of publication.
6. Bruhat M, Silva Carvalho JL, Campo R, Fradique A, Dequesne J, Setubal A, editors. Proceedings of the 10th Congress of the European Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy; 2001 Nov 22-24; Lisbon, Portugal. Bologna (IT): Monduzzi Editore, International Proceedings Division; c2001. 474 p.
7. Editor AA, editor(s). Title of book [Internet]. Proceedings of the Title of Conference; Date of conference; Location of conference. Place of publication: Publisher's name; [cited YYYY MMM DD]. Available from: URL
8. Foster JA, Lutton E, Miller JF, Ryan C, Tettamanzi A, editors. Genetic programming [Internet]. Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Genetic Programming; 2002 Apr 3-5; Kinsale, Ireland. Berlin: Springer; [cited 2019 Mar 7]. Available from: https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=646810