Use reference materials for background information for your topic, or to find good keywords to use when searching databases. These are dictionaries, encyclopedias, guides, bibliographies, indexes and abstracts.
- Encyclopedia of Journalism (2009)
This six volume set contains worldwide coverage on all dimensions of journalism, including print, broadcast and Internet journalism.
- Encyclopedia of American Journalism (1983)
- Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications (2003)
- Historical Dictionary of Journalism (2009) – contains dictionary entries on different styles of journalism, different types of media, and important writers and editors.
- The Newspapers Handbook (2006)
- Understanding Journalism (2013)
- Associated Press 2011 stylebook and briefing on media law (2011)
- Media law handbook : a guide for Canadian journalists, broadcasters, photographers, and writers(1983)
- Sage Knowledge Encyclopedias
- Stylebook and briefing on media law (2007)