Most items in the library are shelved by Library of Congress (LC) call numbers. They look like this: HD2755.K575
- The initial letter(s) go in alphabetical order:
H HA HB HC HD J JA JC
- The first numbers (before the next letter) are treated as a whole number with decimal, not as individual numbers. They go in numerical order:
HD277 HD506 HD2755 HD5065
- The letter following the decimal point goes in alphabetical order:
HD2755.A57 HD2755.B46 HD2755.K575
- The final numbers following the final letter are treated as a decimal, not as a whole number (yes, this is weird):
HD2755.K56 HD2755.K575 HD2755.K5754 HD2755.K63
If you have any trouble, ask for help at the Library Services Desk - we're happy to assist.
Books: Find the books on the shelf and bring them to the Library Services Desk on the main floor. Use your Campus Card to borrow up 100 books for 4 weeks at a time.
Videos/Video Games: Find the case for the video or video game on the shelves beside the Reserves Desk on the main floor, and bring the case to the Reserves Desk. You can borrow up to 3 items. Videos can only be borrowed for 3 days unless they are on Reserve, and then the time varies. Video games can be borrowed for 2 weeks at a time.
- The easiest way to access reserve material is through cuLearn
- If it's not in cuLearn, login to Ares with your MyCarletonOne credentials, register with your Banner# and Carleton email address, and find your course. All items will be listed there.
- For physical items (usually books), look up your course code or instructor name and bring the call number to the Reserves Desk on the main floor of the library