The library maintains a growing collection of hardware and peripherals that support student and faculty work in emerging technology. We have boards, electronics, gesture control devices, virtual reality viewers and more!
To borrow an item, visit the Emerging Technology Lending Library located at the ITS Service Desk in the Discovery Centre on the fourth floor of the Library. Items can be borrowed by Carleton students, faculty and staff with a valid Library card for a two week period.
Our Current Collection
Development boards and accessories
- Raspberry pi B+ starter kit
- Raspberry pi B+ kit model B+ v1.2
- Raspberry pi 3,
- Raspberry pi 3, model B, uncased
- Raspberry pi 3 complete starter kit
- Raspberry pi zero kit
- Arduino mega 2560
- Genuino Uno rev3
- Intel Edison
- Intel Galileo gen 2 board single
- Beaglebone black
- MSP430 LaunchPad Texas Instruments
- UDOO quad
- UDOO starter kit
- Bluno mega 2560
- 7” touch screen with HDMI interface (Supports Raspberry Pi (Pi 2) model B B+ A+, BeagleBone Black and Banana Pi).
- Raspberry pi 7” touch screen display
- UDOO LCD 7” touch screen
- UDOO MPI 5MP AF camera
See “Guides & tutorials” section for instructions, project ideas and more.
See our list of related Library e-books
- Lytro light field camera
- Reveal thermal imaging camera
- Ricoh theta 360 degree camera
- Infrogram plant cam
- Filp UltraHD video camera
- GoPro Hero 5 camera and GoPro harness kit
Electronic circuit games
Video game development
- Smartphone VR viewer by Dodocase
- Virtual reality glasses (compatible with different sizes of smartphones)
See our list of related Library e-books
- Picoscope oscilloscope
- Mindwave: mental exercise equipment
- Astromaster telescope
- BKON A1 beacon
- SCiO pocket molecular sensor
Art / Creative
- Pencil Bluetooth stylus by 53
- LIX 3D printing pen
- Intuos art graphics tablet by Wacom
- Lego architecture studio
Guides & tutorials
- Raspberry Pi website http://www.raspberrypi.org/
- Raspberry Pi quick start guide http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide
- Raspberry Pi current downloads http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
- NOOBS video tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFDaMpdh2c
- Raspberry Pi forums http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
- Design spark: innovation for every engineer. Get started guide http://www.designspark.com/raspberrypi
- Canakit pi quick start guide http://www.canakit.com/quick-start/pi
Arduino / Genuino
- Information and tutorials http://www.arduino.cc
- Get started go to http://maker.intel.com/edison
- Get started go to http://maker.intel.com/galileo
- Getting started with BeagleBone http://beagleboard.org/getting-started
LauchPad (Texas Instruments)
- Everything you need to get started http://www.ti.com/launchpad
- UDOO website for tutorials and project ideas http://www.udoo.org
- Getting started http://www.udoo.org/getting-started
Related Library e-books
- Blum, Richard. Sams teach yourself Python programming for Raspberry Pi in 24 hours. 2nd ed. (Indianapolis, Indiana : Sams, 2016).
- Cox, Tim. Raspberry Pi for Python programmers cookbook: over 60 recipes that harness the power of the Raspberry Pi together with Python programming and create enthralling and captivating projects. 2nd ed. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
- Golden, Rick. Raspberry Pi Networking cookbook: connect your Raspberry Pi to the world with this essential collection of recipes for basic administration and common network services. 2nd ed. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
- Grimmett, Richard. Raspberry Pi robotic projects: work through a mix of amazing robotic projects using the Raspberry Pi Zero or the Raspberry Pi 3. 3rd ed. (Birmingham, UK: Packt Publishing, 2016).
Grimmett, Richard. Getting started with the Raspberry pi zero: get started with the smallest, cheapest, and highest-utility Pi ever, Raspberry Pi Zero. Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016.
Arduino / Genuino
- Geddes, Mark. Arduino project handbook: 25 practical projects to get you started. (San Francisco : No Starch Press, 2016).
- Hughes, J.M. Arduino: a technical reference : a handbook for technicians, engineers, and makers. (Sebastopol, CA : O'Reilly Media, 2016).
- Javed, Adeel. Building Arduino projects for the Internet of Things: experiments with real-world applications. (Kolkota: Apress, 2016).
- Shah, Samarth. Arduino BLINK blueprints: get the most out of your Arduino to develop exciting and creative LED-based projects. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
- Moyerman, Stephanie. Make: getting started with Intel Edison. (San Francisco, CA : Maker Media, 2015).
- Schwartz, Marco. Intel Galileo blueprints: discover the true potential of the Intel Galileo board for building exciting projects in various domains such as home automation and robotics. (Birmingham, UK: Packt Publishing, 2015).
- Sousa, Miguel de. Internet of things with Intel Galileo: employ the Intel Galileo board to design a world of smarter technology for your home. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2015).
- Schwartz, Marco. Intel Galileo networking cookbook: over 45 recipes that will help you use the Intel Galileo board to build exciting network-connected projects. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2015).
- Chavan, Yogesh. Programming the BeagleBone: harness the power of BeagleBone from blinking LEDs to internet of things applications. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
- Giometti, Rodolfo. BeagleBone home automation blueprints: automate and control your home using the power of the BeagleBone Black with practical home automation projects. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
LaunchPad (Texas Instruments)
- Dang, Dung. Embedded systems design with the Texas Instruments MSP432 32-bit processor. (San Rafael, California : Morgan & Claypool, 2017).
- Palazzetti, Emanuele. Getting started with UDOO: become an efficient maker by designing and building amazing prototypes with the UDOO platform and Android. Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2015.
Virtual reality / augmented reality
- Aukstakalnis, Steve. Practical augmented reality: a guide to the technologies, applications, and human factors for AR and VR. (Boston : Addison-Wesley, 2017).
- Jerald, Jason. The VR book : human-centered design for virtual reality. (San Rafael, California : Morgan & Claypool, 2016).
- Lanham, Michael. Augmented reality game development: create your own augmented reality games from scratch with Unity 5. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2017).
- Linowes, Jonathan and Schoen, Matt. Cardboard VR projects for Android: develop mobile virtual reality apps using the native Google Cardboard SDK for Android. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2016).
- Linowes, Jonathan. Unity virtual reality projects: explore the world of virtual reality by building immersive and fun VR projects using Unity 3D. (Birmingham, UK : Packt Publishing, 2015).
- Parisi, Tony. Learning virtual reality: developing immersive experiences and applications for desktop, web, and mobile. (Sebastopol, CA : O'Reilly Media, 2015).
Want more related ebooks? Search the Library catalogue, use keywords:
- raspberry pi
- intel galileo