Doctoral Core Seminar
Janna Fox & Natasha Artemeva
Sage Research Methods
- Sage Research Methods supports beginning and advanced researchers throughout a research project, from writing a research question, choosing a method, gathering and analyzing data, to writing up and publishing the findings.
- With information on the full range of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods for the social and behavioral sciences, as well as methods commonly used in the hard sciences
- NOTE: we subscribe to the Core and Video collections. At this time we do NOT subscribe to the Cases, Datasets, or the Practical Research and Academic Skills subset of videos. These will be marked with a lock icon. Please let me know if you feel this content would be useful to you, your feedback will help us decide whether to purchase these collections in the future.
Research Data Management (RDM) & Data Managment Plans (DMP)
- Research Data Management: Start here! Staff are available to help you with your plans. Includes links to the Carleton DMP template as well as to Portage which offers the DMP Assistant, a step-by-step template to create your own plan.
- Dataverse: A secure place to store your data and make it accessible to others
Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Softwae (CAQDAS)
- NVivo: the one we have a site license for. " ...help you organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured, or qualitative data like: interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content." Link directly to your Survey Monkey or Qualtrics surveys. (other surveys can be imported in Excel or csv formats)
- short bibliography for qualitative research (general sources + ALDS specific sources)
- MaxQDA: recently added stats package, now for "qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods analysis". 4 different option packages + Many different student licensing options
- QDA Miner: "easy-to-use qualitative data analysis software package for coding, annotating, retrieving and analyzing small and large collections of documents and images". Additional modules for statistical data analysis and quantitative content analysis/text mining. Has free QDA Miner Lite
- Dedoose: web based. "cross-platform app for analyzing qualitative and mixed methods research with text, photos, audio, videos, spreadsheet data and more"
Multimodal Analysis Tools
- Elan: designed for analysis of language, sign language, and gesture (free)
Many of these offer both free versions and paid versions. Free versions may limit maximum number of questions, respondants, surveys. Most of the CAQDAS packages will allow you to import survey data.
- Qualtrics: email ITSServiceDesk@Cunet.Carleton.Ca to request a license. Provide student number, email, department
- Survey Monkey
- Survey Gizmo
- Survey Planet
- Google Forms totally free
- Compare 10 online survey tools 2016
Text/Corpus Linguistics Tools
- Linguist List's Software related to Text/Corpus linguistics
- SIL Language Technology: links to a wide variety of software and web tools to help in collecting and analyzing language
- AntConc (free)
- Praat: for phonetics analysis (free)
- Leximancer: automated analysis of text
- Sketch Engine (free)