Contemporary Ethnopolitics in Sub-Saharan Africa (Fall 2018)
The purpose of this guide is to help you find academic sources of information to supplement your course readings and help you complete your assignments.
For your proposal and essay you must find at least 7 references, up to 4 of which can be from your readings. The following pages will help you locate reliable sources of information on "ethnic identity" for your selected sub-Saharan country.
1. Background information for your "case study":
Search these resources to find background information on African countries, including the ethnic groups within them. These can then be used as search terms for books and articles on your research topic.
- BBC Country Profiles
- CIA World Factbook
- e-HRAF World Cultures
- Films (streaming and videos): use Summon and search by country, then limit by "video recording" and "streaming video"
- AfricaMap (online map based on the Harvard University Geospatial Infrastructure (HUG) platform)
2. Background information on African boundaries and ethnic conflict:
- Borders, nationalism, and the African state
- African boundaries: a legal and diplomatic encyclopedia
- The Routledge Handbook of Ethnic Conflict
- Africa since independence: a comparative history
TIP! Try concept mapping to further explore and refine your research topic.