Look for a Country Report on Business Source Complete
- Select Country Reports from the menu on the right hand margin
- Key in a country name to the search box
- Look for a Country Profile or Country Review and open the most recent year
Look for data and information that will help you examine and analyze one of two variables:
- Technologies USED by the industry you are analyzing e.g. 3D Printing
- Technologies that are essentially substitutes for the products provided by the industry being analysed e.g. online advertising with Google and Facebook displacing print and other traditional forms of advertising
- 10K Reports or Corporate Disclosure documents to find technologies used by companies within your industry.
- Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) section of a company's 10K will identify threats from other industries.
- Research reports from investment banks such as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, etc.
- Analyst reports from Bloomberg
- Industry trade magazines and trade associations websites
- Google the industry + country + associations to find trade associations
- Search Business Source Complete for articles published in trade magazines
- Search relevant keywords in the search box in Passport for trends and new products
for example, search 3D printing, drones, etc.
- Articles may also be found in Canadian Businss & Current Affairs, Ei Engineering Village, Factiva and Industry Week
- Economist Intelligence Unit - provides disposal income
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library - browse by topic Economic Trends for forecasting at federal, provincial and municipal levels in Canada.
Includes consumer and business confidence reports
Socio-Cultural Environment & Consumers
- globalEdge - provides information on business culture by country
- Hofstede Centre - provides country based cultural analysis, comparisons and scores.
- search by country
From the top tool bar select
Under Country Reports
> select populaton as the category
>select Canada (or another country)
- Explore the report and also click on View Statistics from menu on left.
Use the drop down menu to add more years.
Select Growth Index under Convert Data, to see the growth rate.
- Census of Population
Counts every man, woman and child in Canada and Canadians and their families working abroad for the federal and provincial government. Takes place every 5 years in years ending in 1 and 6 - 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2016
To compare censuses from 1981 to 2016 use the Canadian Census Analyser
Canada, United States and Global
Look for current research by keyword in the search box:
- Top 10 Global Consumer Trends for 2018
- Consumer Health in 2018: Market Overview, Trends and What’s New in Passport November 2017
Or search by specific country:
From the tool bar at the top of the page, select:
Next, under Country Report
Scroll through Table of Contents looking for relevant categories such as:
> top five consumer trends
> healthy and ethical living
> consumer segmentation
Data on consumer confidence
Search the following for polls and information on attitudes:
- globalEdge excellent free site from Michigan State University. Look for the U.S. Commercial Service - Country Commercial Guide... see section dealing with Customs, Regulations & Standards. Below the link to the Country Commercial Guide is a link to the World Bank - Doing Business Indicators