Understanding a SWOT Analysis
Look for explanations and examples of SWOT Analysis
and on the internet
Tip: Strengths and weaknesses are often internal to your organization, while opportunities and threats generally relate to external factors. For this reason, SWOT is sometimes called Internal-External Analysis and the SWOT Matrix is sometimes called an IE Matrix.
Find a Company Annual Report or 10-k
- Begin with the company's filings which include the 10K, annual report or Manager's Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) - usually found on their web site or by doing a Google search of company name and 10K or annual report.
- If you cannot find the company's filings on their website search SEDAR for Canada and EDGAR for the United States.
Find an Industry or Company Report
- Business Source Complete - Select Industry Profile as your publication type and search.
- Mergent Online - Go to the Industry Analysis tab at the top of the page. Select Biotechnology and North America.
Find Government Information
Do a Google search with country, name of the industry and government. For example: gmo Canada government.
Find a Trade Association
Do a Google search name of industry, association, country. For example:
biotechnology association canada
In the U.S.
Find a Biotech Company
- Top 25 Biotech Companies of 2018
- Fortune Magazine 500’s fastest-growing pharma companies
- Top 10 Biotech companies in the country - Forbes Magazine
- Canada - Biotech Companies
Understand Financial Statements
- IBM, Guide to Financial Statements
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Beginner's Guide to Financial Statements
- Merrill Lynch, The Merrill Lynch Guide to Understanding Financial Reports
- 12 Things You Need To Know About Financial Statements
How is your company doing?
- Go to Factiva, from Companies/Markets select Company and key in your company name.
Scroll down to Key Financials for quick financial info. Detailed results are available on the left.