Begin with the company's 10K or annual report - usually found on their web site or by doing a google search of company name and 10K or annual report. Read the Management Discussion and Analysis - (MD&A) section of the Annual Report or 10k. Read the letter to the shareholders from the CEO in the company's annual report.
Company Reports, Information and Financials
- Bloomberg See our help guides for instructions and tips.
- Mergent Online
- Corporate Filings
- Passport Select Companies from the top tab and key in your company name. Select relevant segment and open the profile. Look in the table of contents for a SWOT analysis
- Business Source Complete Search for your company and limit to SWOT from filters listed below the search box.
No SWOT for your company - try a competitor. External factors will affect all companies in an industry.
- JUST Capital - provides information and rankings on how large corporations perform on issues that matter most to the public.
- Forbes - The Companies With The Best CSR Reputations In The World
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World index
Tips for finding a company's HR policies:
Most companies don't publicly list their internal policies. However, you may be able to find small pieces of information* searching through several sources:
- Search Google for company name and "human resource policies" or "hr policies" and filetype:pdf or filetype:doc ; this will locate if any documents have been posted on a website etc.
- Finding company job postings. See company's website, major job boards like Monster.ca etc., as well as do a Google search for company name and "job posting"
- Use Data USA to find data and salary information on major industries (scroll down to industries)
- If it's a Canadian company, see SEDAR. Search your company name and then locate their 'annual information form'. This often contains small pieces of HR-related information.
- Search news and magazine articles in Business Source Complete and Canadian Business & Current Affairs.
*list compiled at McGill University Library.