Flash News: What Makes an Iconic News Photograph? (2017)
You may be interested in two kinds of research: news articles with images, and information about the impact of images in news.
We have a "find" guide for news that brings together several types of news resources. On the Library's web site, click on Find, and then News.
When you select News, you will see a landing page:
For current news, start with Websites. When you click on Current News, you will see that they are organized by country.
Certain organizations have their own news distribution systems, for instance NASA.
For other news, start with News Databases. The following databases contain news articles with images:
Contains access to full image copies of selected present-day print newspapers from around the world. Some papers go back 90 days; others only 30 days.
Globe and Mail: Canada’s heritage from 1844
Found under “Historical archives”, this database has scans of Globe and Mail news articles (including images) from 1844 to 2013.
Illustrated London News Historical Archive
This database contains scanned images of this British newspaper from 1791-2003.
Toronto Star: Pages of the Past (1894-2014)
Similar to the historical Globe and Mail access this database has scans of news articles from the Toronto Star from 1894 to 2014.
Wall Street Journal
PDF images of articles from this paper between 1899-1999.
Interested in others? Check out the historical archives part of the News Databases section.
These books may provide useful information to help make sense of the impact of your news images. The print ones have been placed on a book truck in the instruction room. The electronic ones can be accessed by clicking on the link.
- About to die : how news images move the public
TR820 .Z45 2010
- Africa's media image in the 21st century : from the "Heart of darkness" to "Africa rising"
- Amateur images and global news
PN4781 .A43 2011
- American Indians and the mass media
P94.5.I532 U65 2012
- American images of Korea : Korea and Koreans as portrayed in books, magazines, television, news media, and film.
- Body horror: Photojournalism, catastrophe and war
- Citizen witnessing : revisioning journalism in times of crisis
PN4784.C615 A45 2013
- Controversial images : media representations on the edge
P96.P73 C66 2013
- Controversies in media ethics
P94 .G67 2011 [there are previous editions]
- Doing news framing analysis : empirical and theoretical perspectives
PN4749 .D68 2010
- Encyclopedia of journalism
- Handbook of visual communication : theory, methods, and media
P93.5 .H363 2005
- Image ethics in the digital age
TR820 .I42 2003
- Images that injure : pictorial stereotypes in the media
P96.S74 I45 2011 [there are previous editions]
- International media communication in a global age
PN4784.F6 I583 2010 [also online]
- An introduction to press photography
- Islam and the West in the mass media : fragmented images in a globalizing world
P96.I84 I83 2000
- Journalism ethics : a philosophical approach
- Making sense of social problems : new images, new issues
HN18.3 .M35 2013
- Media and the politics of arctic climate change : when the ice breaks
RSV GE190.A68 M43 2013
- Media representation and the global Imagination
HM1041 .O74 2012
- Mediating ideology in text and image : ten critical studies
P91 .M43 2006
- Muslims and media images : news versus views
PN5377.M88 M88 2009
- Native Americans in the news : images of Indians in the twentieth century press
- News across media : production, distribution and consumption
- News and sexuality : media portraits of diversity
PN4888.H66 N49 2006
- News media representations of immigrants in the Canadian criminal justice system
- Phototruth or photofiction? Ethics and media imagery in the digital age
TR820 .W4 2002
- Pictorial journalism [comparison to present-day practices?]
TR820 .V5 1939
- Political culture and media genre : beyond the new
P95.82.G7 R53 2013
- Press photography: Reporting with a camera [another older example?]
TR820 .R45 1961
- Representing Mass Violence : Conflicting Responses to Human Rights Violations in Darfur [see part 4]
- The Routledge companion to mobile media
TK5103.2 .R68 2014
- Social inequality & the politics of representation : a global landscape
HM821 .S645 2013
- A violent world : TV news images of Middle Eastern terror and war
PN4784.T45 B46 2006
- Visual communication and culture : images in action
P94.6 .V58 2012
- Visual impact : culture and the meaning of images
GN347 .W75 2008
- War and media : the emergence of diffused war
P96.W35 H67 2010
- War and the media : essays on news reporting, propaganda and popular culture
P96.W352 U5585 2009
- War, image and legitimacy : viewing contemporary conflict
P96.W35 M53 2007
- The weight of images : affect, body image and fat in the media
You may also be interested in our Images "find" guide.
Other places to search
- Library Catalogue
- America, History and Life [for journal articles on North American History]
- Communication & Mass Media Complete [for journal articles on Journalism and Communication]
- Google Scholar
- Journalism [subject guide]
Questions? Just ask!
Enjoy researching your topic!