Omni is the library interface search tool that lets you do just one search to find books, newspaper articles, journal articles, etc.
- Use keywords only, do not search using a full sentence.
- Combine keywords for different ideas with AND
- Combine synonyms or similar words for an idea with OR
- Use NOT to focus a search when a topic contains multiple search terms
- Surround search terms with quotation marks around phrases to locate exact results
- Use truncation (*) at the end of the root of a word to find all the forms of that word ;
and wildcards (?) to replace a single character
- Use parentheses to override search precedence and with OR statements
Example: Keywords - spoken word poetry
Example: Boolean operator: AND - indigenous literature AND healing
Example: Boolean operator: OR - (video OR film) AND "gil scott-heron"
Example: Boolean operator: NOT - (livesay NOT vermette)
Example: Truncation and wildcard - "graphic novel" AND female identity AND canad*
Click on Advanced Search and key in your search statement.
When you get your results, use the links on the left side of the screen to look at the books in our library.
If something is available in paper copy in the library, Omni will give you the call number (which you need to request Curbside Pick-up and Mail Delivery. If something is available online, click on Available Online under Availability.
For more search information, check this page, Omni Search Tips.
eBooks can be found in Omni by author, title, subject and keyword searching.
Do a search and then limit your search to retrieve only Books by using the drop down menu under Material Type. Next refine your results under Availability to Available Online
- Canadian Publishers Collection Includes major Canadian University Presses, among them the University of Toronto Press, the UBC Press, Les Presses de l'Université du Québec and McGill-Queen's University Press.
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Ebook Central Full-text of books from academic publishers, as well as books and reports from Canadian research institutes, government agencies and university centres.
- Scholars Portal Books Full-text available for books from the following publishers: Springer, Oxford University Press, American Psychological Association, Cambridge University Press, Canadian presses and government and non-governmental organizations
- UC Press E-Books Collection, 1982-2004 Collection from University of California Press on a wide range of topics.
See a full list of eBook collections.
Suggested Reference Materials
- The Oxford Companion to Canadian Literature / William Toye ; Eugene Benson (1997)
- Canadian Encyclopedia
- The Oxford Companion to Canadian History / Gerald Hallowell (2004)
- Canadian Oxford Dictionary / Katherine Barber (2004)
- Gale Literature
- ABC Bookworld - Search for author
- The Uses of Argument / Stephen Toulmin (2003) (Online) (Online)
- The Rhetoric of Argumentation / William J. Brandt (1970) (Online at HathiTrust)
- Modern Rhetoric / Cleaneth Brooke ; Robert Penn Warren (1979) (Online at HathiTrust)
Other Search Tools:
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Internet Archive
- WorldCat is the world's largest network of library content and services.