Look for a Subject Guide on the discipline of your topic. Explore multiple guides when a topic is multidisciplinary.
Relevant Subject Guides include
- Canadian Studies
- English Language and Literature
- Greek and Roman Studies
- Indigenous Studies
- International Affairs
- Women's and Gender Studies
Select Journal Articles tab or Databases tab to see a list of relevant indexes and databases.
- America: History and Life
- Anthropology Plus
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLA Serials
- Business Source Complete
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- Emerald Management eJournals
- MLA International Bibliography
- PAIS Index
- Sociological Abstracts
- Web of Science (contains Social Sciences Citation Index)
Also consult multidisciplinary databases such as:
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up RSS Feeds or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
Sample Journal Titles:
- Contemporary Literature
- Critical Inquiry
- Cultural Studies
- Essays in Criticism
- Journal of Modern Literature
- Journal of Popular Culture
- Media, Culture & Society
- Modern Language Studies
- New Literary History
- Review of English Studies
- Textual Practice
- Twentieth Century Literature
Tip: The MLA Directory of Periodicals indexes literature journals. A search the MLA database is a quick way to find
information on your topic or journal articles.