Pick a research topic
- Read your syllabus (assignment instructions).
- Pick a topic that interests you and meets the assignment instructions.
- Narrow or broaden the scope of your topic so that it is "doable."
- What's scope? Scope refers to the "people, places and things" or "who, what, when and where" that you are studying. For example, Canada or another country? Children or adults? Education or child protection services?
Identify key concepts
Use an online thesaurus.
Start KEYWORD searching for academic sources
Watch this video to learn:
- A search with more ideas will find less results. Start with two or three ideas only.
- Some keywords are phrases. Use quotations for these. For example: "human rights