- Carleton's Writing Services offers free consultations
Citation Help: APA
- When you write essays at university you usually have to cite your sources in your essay and include a list of references/bibliography at the end.
- There are rules for what information to include and how to format it. These sets of rules are called "citation styles"
- There are different citation styles used in different disciplines. ESLA classes usually use the APA style (American Psychological Association), which is the most common in Social Sciences disciplines
APA Style Help
- APA Style Sheet
- APA Style from Purdue University OWL
- From APA (American Psychological Association):
- APA Style (official APA page) and their useful APA Style Blog
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (if you want to buy or rent an online version of the full manual, only print copies can be bought on Amazon)
- How to prepare an annotated bibliography ( Olin and Uris Libraries, Cornell University )
- Writing an annotated bibliography (University of Toronto Writing)
- Annotated Bibliography (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
Books in our collection to help with academic writing (small sample only!):
Note: print books can be requested through our curbside service during the COVID-19 closure
- Academic writing: A handbook for international students, 4th ed.
- Academic writing: A practical guide for students
- Academic writing for graduate students : essential tasks and skills Unit 6 is about writing critques
- Basically academic : An introduction to EAP
- Mastering academic writing in the sciences : a step-by-step guide
- Reading critically, writing well : A reader and guide