Health Research Methods/Skills
HLTH2001 Library Workshop Activities
- Activity 1 Work Sheet
- Activity 2 Work Sheet
- Activity 3 Work Sheet
- Activity 4 Work Sheet
- Powerpoint slides
Library Workshop Assignment
Research Question: Does vaccination during pregnancy reduce the incidence of whooping cough?
- Identify the PICO terms in the above question
- Provide the MeSH URL for each of the your PICOs (you can have multiple URLs)
- Find two sources that answer the above question
- One research article (primary) from the last 5 years
- One review article (secondary) from the last 10 years
- Write out the citation elements for each of the articles
- Write a reflection on identifying and evaluating the articles
- Write a reflection on searching for the articles
Consider the following questions in your reflections:
- Article identification and evaluation:
- How do you know the articles are a research or review article? What indicators or clues are there?
- Do these papers help answer the question?
- Are these papers too complex to use without reference (tertiary) sources?
- Was it difficult to figure out the citation elements?
- Search process:
- Was it difficult to identify the PICO terms?
- Did you use the PICO terms for your search?
- Did you find all the PICO terms useful in your search?
- Were you able to identify MeSH for each PICO term?
- Was it difficult to find relevant articles using PubMed?
Due: Friday, Sept 28, 2018, midnight
Please email your TA your completed assignment. In the subject line put HLTH 2001 workshop assignment.