The Cochrane Library (named after Archie Cochrane) is a collection of databases that contain different types of high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. It is provided by the Cochrane Collaboration and other organizations. It includes the following databases:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials
- Cochrane Methodology Register
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects
- Health Technology Assessment Database
- NHS Economic Evaluation Database
Cochrane Systematic Reviews are considered the "gold standard" for systematic reviews and are at the top of the pyramid of best evidence for evidence-based healthcare.
Carleton does not have a subscription to the Cochrane Library however the search function of the library is freely available. Searching the library will help identify relevant information that you can then find in other databases or order through an interlibrary loan.