Publicly Traded Companies - Annual Reports or 10k
Companies that are publicly traded are required to file documents with security regulators. These are detailed sources in information on a companies performance and strategy. You can generally find these on company websites in the investor relations section. Look for 10k Forms (United States) or Annual Reports (Canada).
- SEDAR - A database of corporate filings for companies traded on a Canadian stock exchange.
- EDGAR - A database of corporate filings for companies traded on an American stock exchange.
Top Library Databases
Business Source Complete
Key in a company name, scroll down and select SWOT.
Key in an industry, scroll down and select Industry Profile
Select companies from the top tabs and key in company name.
Select Industries from the top tabs and choose geographies.
Provides company financial data and information as well as industry profiles. Select the Report Search tab from the menu followed by the industry of interest and then geographical region.
Small to Medium Enterprises and Private Business
- Statistics Canada NAICS Codes
- Industry Canada Financial Performance Data - For financial benchmarking
- Industry Sector Intelligence
- Statistics Canada
Trade association and Journals
Google the industry + country + associations to find trade associations
Additional Company and Industry Resources
- Factiva Mouse over Companies/Markets from menu bar at top of page. Key in company or select industry from the list provided. Published profiles are found under Analysis and Profiles from menu on left.
- Conference Board of Canada e-Library Browse by topic -> Industry Sector Economics for industry profiles or enter industry name in the search box.