Reference materials are a valuable resource when doing research.
Use dictionaries to help with terminology. Encyclopedias provide background information, an overview of topics and issues and often lead you to further readings.
- Oxford Reference Online Premium - includes over 100 dictionary, encyclopedias, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press. Search the entire collection or limit by specific subject area.
- Encyclopedia Judaica / Shelomoh Yosef Zeyin, Meyer Berlin, Harry Freedman (1969-1978) (Online at HathiTrust) - BM500.5.E613
- Encyclopedia Talmudica; a digest of halachic literature and Jewish law from the Tannaitic period to the present time Shlomo Josef Zevin, et. al. (1969-) (Online at HathiTrust) - BM500.5.E613
- Encyclopedia of religious rites, rituals, and festivals / Frank A. Salamone (2004) BL31.E525 2004
- The Encyclopedia of Jewish life and thought / Chaim Pearl, et. al. (1996) BM50.E341 1996
- The JPS guide to Jewish traditions / Ronald L. Eisenberg (2004) (print) (online)
- Bar Ilan's Judaic library (2007) BM495.B36 2007
- The Encyclopaedia of Judaism / Jacob Neusner, et. al. (2005) BM50.E63 2005 (vols. 1-3)
- Encyclopaedia of Midrash : Biblical interpretation in formative Judaism / Jacob Neusner & Alan, et. al. (2005) (Online at HathiTrust) - BM514.E53 2005 (vols.1-2)
- Essential figures in the Talmud / Ronald L. Eisenberg (2013) BM501.15.E37 2013
- Who's who in Tanakh (2007) (print) (online)
- Rabbinic exegesis of biblical names and narratives : (in the Talmud and Midrash) / David Mendel Harduf (2002) BS1199.N2.H32 2002
- Women in scripture : a dictionary of named and unnamed women in the Hebrew Bible, the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books, and the New Testament / Carol Meyers, et. al. (2000) BS575.W593
- Historical dictionary of prophets in Islam and Judaism / Scott B. Noegel, Brannon M. Wheeler (2002) (Online at HathiTrust) - BM645.P67.N64 2002