Book borrowing Information:
- You can have up to 500 books checked out at any one time
- Undergraduate students may borrow an item for 120 days (with unlimited renewals subject to recall when another student places a hold)
- You can also borrow books from the University of Ottawa
- If a book you want is checked out, you can use the Hold/Request button to request it
- To renew your books, place requests, connect to e-books, journals, & databases from off-campus you only need your MyCarletonOne login and password
The library has a new search tool that lets you do just one search to find books, newspaper articles, journal articles... You can also search for books in Omni and use our various journal article databases to find journal articles, but the library's search tool give you another option that lets you do both at the same time. Caution: Omni does not include databases used when searching for data, statistics and some grey literature.
- Use keywords only, do not search using a full sentence.
- Combine keywords for different ideas with AND
- Combine synonyms or similar words for an idea with OR
- Use the * at the end of the root of a word to find all the forms of that word
Click on Advance Search and key in your search statement.
Example: religion AND film* OR "motion pictures"
When you get your results, use the links on the left side of the screen to look at the books in our library, or journal articles, etc.
Results for books and eBooks are high in Omni as the search tool is retrieving relevant articles or chapters within books.
If something is available in paper copy in the library Omni will give you the floor location and the call number (which you need in order to find the item on the shelf). If something is available online, click on the "Full-text online" link.
Use Omni to find books, government documents, conference proceedings, journals and journal articles.. Some journal articles are in Omni. Use Subject databases to search for individual article titles.
If you know the title of the item you seek, perform a TITLE search.
If you know the author, perform an AUTHOR search. Enter the author's name with the surname first.
Otherwise, try a KEYWORD or SUBJECT search.
Use boolean operators AND/OR to create a relevant search statement.
Use the truncation symbol * when you want to allow for several spellings or variations on a word.
Example: religion AND human rights AND canad*
When keyword searching, if a keyword exists in the subject heading or in the title, the resource is much more likely to be about that topic. You can construct sophisticated searches by specifying that your search terms must exist in particular fields of the search tool record. Prefix the search term with a: to restrict to authors, t: to restrict to titles, s: to restrict to subject headings, and n: to restrict to the notes (where tables of contents are loaded).
Example: (women OR feminis*) AND islam
Scroll down to see the subject headings.
Example Women's rights -- Religious aspects -- Islam
Other subject headings
- Anthropology of Religion
- Ethnology--Religious aspects
- Religion and culture
- Religion and society and canada
- Religion and sociology
- Religious life and customs
- Rites and ceremonies
To find documentaries, try a keyword search but restrict the Material Type to Video/Film.
For more information, see Omni Search Tips.
eBooks can be found in Omni by author, title, subject and keyword searching.
Do a search and then limit your search to retrieve only Books by using the drop down menu:under Material Type.
Example: religion AND politics AND canad*
- Brill Carleton University subscribes to two subfiles: Middle East and Islamic Studies (2007-2010) and Social Sciences (2010).
- Canadian Publishers Collection Includes major Canadian University Presses, among them the University of Toronto Press, the UBC Press, Les Presses de l'Université du Québec and McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Ebook Central includes ebooks from Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press and Taylor & Francis
- Oxford Scholarship Online: Religion
- Scholars Portal Books Full-text available for books from the following publishers: Springer, Oxford University Press, American Psychological Association, Cambridge University Press, Canadian presses and government and non-governmental organizations
- UC Press E-Books Collection, 1982-2004 Collection from University of California Press on a wide range of topics.
- Wiley Online Journals
See a full list of eBook collections.
- University of Ottawa
Catalogue of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Offers Over 62,000,000 million bibliographic records.
- Library and Archives Canada
- Centre for Research Libraries (CRL)
- Library of Congress
- British Library
- Watmedia: Media Catalog Search
Watmedia is an extensive, searchable database of approximately 50,000 film and video titles which are held by other Ontario universities and can be borrowed.