Why use journals?
- They are more up-to-date than most books.
- They are “peer reviewed” by other scholars in the field who check for academic integrity.
- They are concise and focused on a specific aspect of a topic.
- Every article will contain cited references that appear as footnotes and/or bibliographies.
- Most are now in online and accessible anytime and from off campus.
For best results do a search using keywords or phrases in a subject database to find references to scholarly articles.
When a database gives you an option, always limit to scholarly (or academic or peer reviewed) journals.
- Anthropology Plus
- Sociological Abstracts
- PAIS Index - limit to option Peer Reviewed
- eHRAF World Cultures
- Web of Science (contains Social Sciences Citation Index)
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLA Serials
- CPI.Q - limit to option Peer Reviewed Journals
- Canadian Business & Current Affairs Database - limit to option Peer Reviewed
- America: History and Life includes N. and S. America
Also consult multidisciplinary databases such as:
Samples lists of scholarly journals
American Review of Canadian Studies
British Journal of Canadian studies
Canadian Journal of Education
Canadian Ethnic Studies Journal
Canadian Journal of Sociology
Canadian Public Policy
Canadian Review of Social Policy
Canadian Review of Sociology
Canadian Women Studies
Etudes d'histoire religieuse
International Journall of Canadian Studies/Revue internationale d'etudes canadiennes
Journal of Canadian Studies
Journal of Comparative Family Studies
Jounal of Religion & Popular Culture
RELIGION AND SOCIETY
THE JOURNAL FOR THE STUDY OF RELIGION, NATURE & CULTURE
ANNUAL REVIEW OF ANTHROPOLOGY
CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY: JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY FOR CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY
SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGY: THE JOURNAL OF THE EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGIST
ANTHROPOLOGIE ET SOCIETES
SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION
JOURNAL FOR THE SCIENTIFIC STUDY OF RELIGION
CANADIAN REVIEW OF SOCIOLOGY
AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW
ANNUAL REVIEW OF SOCIOLOGY
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY
GENDER & SOCIETY
INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL SOCIOLOGY
SOCIOLOGICAL METHODS & RESEARCH
BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY
SOCIOLOGY OF HEALTH & ILLNESS
JOURNAL OF MARRIAGE & FAMILY
ECONOMY & SOCIETY