The library has a new search tool that lets you do just one search to find books, newspaper articles, journal articles, etc. You can also use our various journal article databases to find journal articles..
- Use keywords only, do not search using a full sentence.
- Combine keywords for different ideas with AND
- Combine synonyms or similar words for an idea with OR
- Use the * at the end of the root of a word to find all the forms of that word
Click on Advanced Search and key in your search statement.
Example: Subject Terms - religion AND film* OR "motion pictures"
When you get your results, use the links on the left side of the screen to look at the books in our library, or journal articles, etc.
If something is available in paper copy in the library, Omni will give you the floor location and the call number (which you need in order to find the item on the shelf). If something is available online, click on the "Available Online" link.
More Search Tips
Use Omni to find books, government documents, conference proceedings, and journals. Only the titles of journals are included in OmniVe: use the databases to search for individual article titles.
Scroll down to see the subject headings.
Example Women's rights -- Religious aspects -- Islam
eBooks can be found in Omni by author, title, subject and keyword searching.
Do a search and then limit your search to retrieve only Books by using the drop down menu:under Material Type.
- Brill Carleton University subscribes to two subfiles: Middle East and Islamic Studies (2007-2010) and Social Sciences (2010).
- Canadian Publishers Collection Includes major Canadian University Presses, among them the University of Toronto Press, the UBC Press, Les Presses de l'Université du Québec and McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Ebook Central Fulltext of books from academic publishers, as well as books and reports from Canadian research institutes, government agencies and university centres.
- Oxford Scholarship Online: Religion
- Scholars Portal Books Fulltext available for books from the following publishers: Springer, Oxford University Press, American Psychological Association, Cambridge University Press, Canadian presses and government and non-governmental organizations
- UC Press E-Books Collection, 1982-2004 Collection from University of California Press on a wide range of topics.
- Wiley Online Journals
See a full list of ebook collections.
Other Search Tools:
- University of Ottawa
Catalogue of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Offers Over 62,000,000 million bibliographic records.
- Library and Archives Canada
- Centre for Research Libraries (CRL)
- Library of Congress
- British Library
- Watmedia: Media Catalog Search
WATMEDIA is an extensive, searchable database of approximately 50,000 film and video titles which are held by other Ontario universities and can be borrowed.