Book borrowing Information:
- You can have up to 100 books checked out at any one time
- Undergraduates can borrow books for 2 weeks at a time (with up to 5 renewals); graduate students for 4 months (with 1 renewal)
- You can also borrow books from the University of Ottawa
- If a book you want is checked out, you can use the Hold/Request button to request it
- To renew your books, place requests, connect to e-books, journals, & databases from off-campus you only need your MyCarletonOne login and password
The library has a new search tool that lets you do just one search to find books, newspaper articles, journal articles... You can also search for books in our library catalogue and use our various journal article databases to find journal articles, but the Summon search tool gives you another option that lets you do both at the same time. Caution: Summon does not include databases used when searching for data, statistics and some grey literature.
- Use keywords only, do not search using a full sentence.
- Combine keywords for different ideas with AND
- Combine synonyms or similar words for an idea with OR
- Use "quotation marks" when searching a phrase
- Use the * at the end of the root of a word to find all the forms of that word
Example: Click on Advanced search and key in your search statement. You may limit to the subject field for better results.
internet and advertising and children
When you get your results, use the links on the left side of the screen to look at the books in our library, or the newspaper articles, or journal articles...
Results for books and ebooks are often higher in Summon than the Catalogue as Summon is retrieving relevant articles or chapters within books.
If something is available in paper copy in the library, Summon will give you the floor location and the call number (which you need in order to find the item on the shelf). If something is available online, click on the "Full-text online" link.
Use the CATALOGUE to find books, government documents, conference proceedings, and journals. Only the titles of journals are included in the catalogue: use the databases to search for individual article titles.
If you know the title of the item you seek, perform a TITLE search.
If you know the author, perform an AUTHOR search. Enter the author's name with the surname first.
Otherwise, try a KEYWORD search.
Use boolean operators AND/OR to create a relevant search statement.
Use the truncation symbol * when you want to allow for several spellings or variations on a word.
Browse the results until you find a good hit, then scroll down to see the Subject Headings.
For more information, consult the keyword search help in the catalogue.
eBooks can be found in the catalogue by author, title, subject and keyword searching.
Do a search and then limit your search to retreive only ebooks by using the drop down menu:
- Brill E-Books Carleton University subscribes to two subfiles: Middle East and Islamic Studies (2007-2010) and Social Sciences (2010).
- Canadian Publishers Collection Includes major Canadian University Presses, among them the University of Toronto Press, the UBC Press, Les Presses de l'Université du Québec and McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Ebrary Fulltext of books from academic publishers, as well as books and reports from Canadian research institutes, government agencies and university centres.
- MyiLibrary includes ebooks from Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press and Taylor & Francis
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Scholars Portal Books Fulltext available for books from the following publishers: Springer, Oxford University Press, American Psychological Association, Cambridge University Press, Canadian presses and government and non-governmental organizations
- UC Press E-Books Collection, 1982-2004 Collection from University of California Press on a wide range of topics.
- Wiley Online Library
See a full list of ebook collections.
- University of Ottawa
Catalogue of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Offers Over 62,000,000 million bibliographic records.
- Library and Archives Canada
- Centre for Research Libraries (CRL)
- Library of Congress
- British Library
WATMEDIA is an extensive, searchable database of approximately 50,000 film and video titles which are held by other Ontario universities and can be borrowed.