- Framing analysis could be useful when reading media reports. Chapter One of Frames of Protest: Social Movements and the Framing Perspective provides a good overview of this conceptual framework.
- Canadian Newstand
- CBCA Current Events
- Eureka.cc (French-Canadian and Atlantic provinces newspapers; radio and television news transcripts)
- Factiva Canadian coverage includes The Globe and Mail from 1977 to date
- Hill Times
- LexisNexis Academic (thousands of news sources, English and foreign languages, from around the world).
- Find news
Academic databases for finding journal articles
- America History and Life (for historical perspective on issues or policy)
- CBCA Reference
- CPI-Q (Canadian Periodical Index)
- Child Development and Adolescent Studies
- Communication and Mass Media Complete (for analytic approaches to issues in the media)
- Public Affairs Information Service (PAIS)
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Social Work Abstracts
- Social Service Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts
- Web of Science (multidisciplinary)
Hillwatch's list of think tanks is useful and includes both Canadian and international organizations.
Canadian Public Policy Collection - collection of publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think tanks, university research centres and other public interest groups.
Note: items from this collection are also searchable through the library's catalogue; the same searches can be done as for academic books. e.g. "child poverty" and canad*
PolicyFile This database is largely American but does include Canadian material, e.g. Canadian Labour Congress and Fraser Institute.
Canadian intergovernmental affairs
- Intergovernmental Affairs
- Council of Atlantic Premiers
- Council of the Federation
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Ministerial Conference on the Canadian Francophonie
- Western Premiers' Conference
International organizations and agreements
- OECD Social and Welfare Issues
- UNDP Human Development Reports
- World Bank World Development Indicators
- Reports on UN Human Rights treaties and other documents
- Conventions which Canada have signed and on which its progress (at the federal and provincial level) is scrutinized internationally e.g. International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Canada's report and the UN report