Browsing journal tables of contents
You can browse relevant journals by looking up the title of the journal in the catalogue. If there is an online subscription, click on the link and browse the tables of contents for relevant articles. If the journal is in print only, copy down the call number and locate the volumes in the compact shelving on the first floor.
See the suggested journals section at the bottom of this page.
Searching for journal articles
If you have no particular topic-based journal in mind, search a journal articles database for relevant articles. Recommended databases for journal articles can be found on the "journal articles" tab of the subject guides, for instance, the Women's Studies subject page.
If you are looking for articles by a particular author, select AUTHOR from the drop-down list. If you are searching for a particular article, enter the title and select TITLE from the drop-down list.
For keyword or key phrase searching, most database search engines encourage you to put your related terms (OR searching) in the same row, and your unrelated concepts (AND searching) in separate rows.
Tip: Most databases provide a way to restrict the results of a search to peer-reviewed or academic articles. It can be implemented differently from database to database: check the help pages for more information.
- Gender Studies Database [all aspects of women's studies and gender studies]
- Sociological Abstracts [gender studies, social aspects, sex differences, work issues, etc.]
- CINAHL [nursing and allied health]
- Canadian Business and Current Affairs Database [Canadian studies]
- PAIS Index [globalization, human rights, policy]
Other useful databases
- Academic OneFile
- America: History and Life [add keyword: Canad* to restrict to Canadian issues]
- Periodicals Archive Online (PAO)
- Project MUSE
- Scholars Portal Journals
- Scopus (contains a social sciences index)
- Web of Science (part of this is the Social Sciences Citation Index)
Multidisciplinary journal repositories or publisher collections
- Cambridge Journals Online
- Duke University Press Journals Online
- Oxford Journals Online
- Taylor & Francis Journals Online
For other databases, including databases of newspaper articles, please see the lists of databases by subject.
- Atlantis: a women's studies journal [note: some articles NOT online; use print subscription]
- Canadian journal of sociology
- Canadian woman studies
- Feminist studies
- Feminist theory
- Gender and development
- Gender and society
- Gender, place and culture : a journal of feminist geography
- Gender, work, and organization
- Herizons: women's news and feminist views
- Journal of comparative family studies
- Journal of feminist studies in religion
- Journal of women's history
- Meridians: feminism, race, transnationalism
- Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society
- Violence against women
- Women & health
- Women's health issues
- Women's studies: An International Journal
- Women's studies international forum
To find other journals, perform a SUBJECT search in the catalogue for
Very important: Book reviews
Included with journal articles are reviews of books. In some databases these are deemed to be scholarly / peer reviewed. Book reviews are edited but they are NOT submitted for peer review.
Use book reviews with caution as guidelines for writing reviews vary widely. Some are comparative reviews of books and these are rich in information. Others are brief overviews of the content of the book. Some are opinionated. If in doubt please consult your professor or TA, or find and use the book itself.