This subject guide will assist you in finding books, journal articles, and websites, as well as assist you in developing your research skills.
Welcome to the library resource guide for Anthropology at Carleton University. This guide has been designed to assist scholars with finding relevant materials on topics and issues relating to Anthropology. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- Core concepts in cultural anthropology / Robert Lavenda, Emily Schultz.
- International dictionary of anthropologists / compiled by Library-Anthropology Resource Group (LARG) ; Christopher Winters, general editor ; editorial board: Michele Calhoun ... [et al.].
- The Routledge dictionary of anthropologists [electronic resource] / Gérald Gaillard ; translated by Peter James Bowman.
- The SAGE Dictionary of Qualitative Inquiry
- The Canadian encyclopedia = L'encyclopédie canadienne (use Google to search for Canadian Encyclopedia articles)
- Companion encyclopedia of anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Tim Ingold.
- Encyclopedia of anthropology [electronic resource] / H. James Birx, editor.
- Encyclopedia of cultural anthropology / editors, David Levinson, Melvin Ember.
- Encyclopedia of social and cultural anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Alan Barnard, Jonathan Spencer.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences [electronic resource] / editor-in-chief: James D. Wright.
- Oxford Reference Online: Premium
- SAGE Knowledge Encyclopedias
- The Sage encyclopedia of qualitative research methods
- The SAGE Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods
- 21st century anthropology [electronic resource] : a reference handbook / editor, H. James Birx.
- Doing visual ethnography / Sarah Pink.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies: an annotated multilingual bibliography
- Handbook of methods in cultural anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by H. Russell Bernard and Clarence C. Gravlee.
- Handbook of the arts in qualitative research : perspectives, methodologies, examples, and issues / J. Gary Knowles, Ardra L. Cole.
- Medical anthropology in ecological perspective / Ann McElroy and Patricia K. Townsend ; [with contributions by Pamela L. Erickson and others].
- The Routledge handbook of medical anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Lenore Manderson, Elizabeth Cartwright and Anita Hardon.
- The SAGE Handbook of Visual Research Methods (Second Edition (Revised and Updated Edition))
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
Starting more broadly
Start with the Omni search box to search across almost all of the databases the library subscribes to. Use the main keywords found within your research topic. As you retrieve results, use the Omni filters on the left of the screen to narrow or broaden your search.
Searching more specifically
When you need to search by specific fields like methodology or geography, you should go directly to specialized databases such as the ones listed below.
- Academic OneFile: Includes more than 8000 journals with extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature, and other subject; intended primarily for academic researchers. Excellent source of peer-reviewed, fulltext articles.
- Annual Reviews: Provides access to review articles in the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences.
- Anthro Plus: Comprehensive international coverage in most branches of anthropology and archaeology, folklore, material culture and interdisciplinary studies.
- AnthroSource: Full text access publications of the American Anthropological Association, including American Anthropologist, American Ethnologist, Cultural Anthropology, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Medical Anthropology Quarterly, and others.
- Basic Search eHRAF World Cultures Tutorial on YouTube
- eHRAF World Cultures: (Human Relations Area Files) cross-cultural and ethnographic database containing descriptive information on cultures (based on the Outline of World Cultures -OWC) and ethnic groups from around the world.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: is a tool for the social sciences and humanities.
- Project MUSE: A collection of scholarly journals in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
- PubMed: Provides access to citations covering all areas of medicine and associated fields.
- Sage Research Methods: coverage spans the full range of research methods used in the social and behavioral sciences and resources to help with writing a research question, conducting a literature review, choosing a research method, collecting and analyzing data, and writing up the findings.
- WorldCat: A union catalogue of libraries worldwide.
- Ebsco databases: Databases available through the EBSCOhost interface. Multiple databases can be selected and searched simultaneously. Click on EBSCOhost Web.
- Ethnographic Video Online: for study of human culture and behavior
- JSTOR: Digital library of academic journals, books and primary sources.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: a tool for the social sciences and humanities
Multidisciplinary databases with Canadian content
For a more complete listing, see databases by subject webpage.
- Directory of Open Access Journals: An index to high quality, peer reviewed open access research journals, periodicals and their articles' metadata. Each journal must exercise peer-review with an editor and an editorial board or editorial review (particularly in the Humanities) carried out by at least two editors and/or report primary results of research or overviews of research results to a scholarly community
- Google Scholar Metrics: Gender Studies
- Google Scholar Metrics: Sex & Sexuality
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR) from Web of Science: Provides access to citation data in order to aid the evaluation and comparison of scholarly journals
- Scimago Journal & Country rank - Gender Studies
- Ulrichsweb: is a source of bibliographic and access information for over 300,000 serials
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY PEER REVIEWED
- AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW PEER REVIEWED
- ANNALS OF TOURISM RESEARCH PEER REVIEWED
- Annual Review of Sociology PEER REVIEWED
- Cultural anthropology : journal of the Society for Cultural Anthropology. PEER REVIEWED
- Cultural studies critical methodologies (Online)
- Evolutionary Anthropology: Issues, News, and Reviews [electronic resource]. PEER REVIEWED
- Information Communication & Society PEER REVIEWED
- Journal of applied quantitative methods
- JOURNAL OF PEASANT STUDIES PEER REVIEWED
- Socio-economic review [electronic resource].
- Sociological methods & research PEER REVIEWED
- Qualitative sociology review : QSR
Maps and images
- ARTstor: A repository of hundreds of thousands of digital images and related data
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection—Historical Maps -- Hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.
- Criterion-on-Demand Provides access to educationally relevant new releases, foreign films, literary adaptations, documentaries, animated titles, and independent features.
- Kanopy Kanopy is a streaming service that provides a platform for educational video products covering a wide range of subjects, from arts, humanities, health, business, education, and more.
- Library DVD Collection The library's video collection is housed in our Reserves room. Since the shelves are not browsable, it is best to do an Omni search for the title of the movie you are looking for. You can then bring the title and call number to Reserves on the main floor of the library.
- NFB.ca Watch films produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Includes historical films dating back to 1928 to current contemporary releases, including award-winning documentaries, animation and fiction.
- Search Watmedia to locate videos at other Ontario universities. If you wish to borrow a video listed in Watmedia please fill out our Interfilm Video Request form - do not submit requests directly to Watmedia.
ArtStor Digital Library : provides access to 2.5+ million images of the world’s cultural heritage, all rights-cleared for use in education.
For more go to our listing of images databases.
Books on visual anthropology:
- An Anthropology of Images : Picture, Medium, Body / Hans Belting ; Translated by Thomas Dunlap.
- Experimental film and anthropology / edited by Arnd Schneider, Caterina Pasqualino.
- Photography and anthropology / Christopher Pinney.
- Visual impact : culture and the meaning of images / Terence Wright.
Also consult our images "find" guide.
Start with a subject search in the library's Google Custom Government Information page and use the drop-down menu to select geography.
You can also search the following databases:
City of Ottawa:
International: (including content on Canada):
- IMF eLibrary (International Monetary Fund)
- OECD iLibrary (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development)
- UN iLibrary (United Nations)
- World Bank eLibrary
For more, look at the library's listing of government information databases.
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
Accessing ebooks collections
Start with Sage Research Methods, a comprehensive database of resources on research methods in the social sciences which includes:
- the Little Blue Books series on qualitative research methods
- the Little Green Books series on quantitative applications
- short videos by leading social scientists
- TIP: try the "project planner", a tool designed to guide you through your research project.
- Creative teamwork [electronic resource] : developing rapid, site-switching ethnography / Pat Armstrong and Ruth Lowndes.
- Doing research in cultural studies : an introduction to classical and new methodological approaches / Paula Saukko.
- Indigenous research : theories, practices, and relationships / edited by Deborah McGregor, Jean-Paul Restoule, and Rochelle Johnston.
- Methods that matter [electronic resource] : integrating mixed methods for more effective social science research / edited by M. Cameron Hay.
- Mixed methods research [electronic resource] / Daphne Watkins and Deborah Gioia.
- Visual methods in social research / Marcus Banks & David Zeitlyn.
- David Mills and Jane Dyson Discuss Ethnography
- Researching Multiracial Identity Using Ethnographic Methods
- What is Netnography?
- Ethics and anthropology : ideas and practice / Carolyn Fluehr-Lobban.
- Ethics for graduate researchers : a cross-disciplinary approach / edited by Cathriona Russell, Linda Hogan, and Maureen Junker-Kenny.
- Research ethics [electronic resource] : a philosophical guide to the responsible conduct of research / Gary Comstock.
- The student's guide to research ethics / Paul Oliver.
- Data mining for the social sciences : an introduction / Paul Attewell and David B. Monaghan with Darren Kwong.
- More statistical and methodological myths and urban legends / edited by Charles E. Lance, Robert J. Vandenberg.
- Practical Statistics: A Quick and Easy Guide to IBM® SPSS® Statistics, STATA, and Other Statistical Software
- Social statistics for a diverse society / Chava Frankfort-Nachmias, University of Wisconsin, Anna Leon-Guerrero, Pacific Lutheran University.
- Statistics : a tool for social research / Joseph F. Healey (Christopher Newport University), Steven G. Prus (Carleton University)
"Citation searching" is a technique to find scholarly clusters for a research topic. Take the citation for a key book or journal article and try to see who might have used that citation in their bibliography.
- Topic alerts - set up alerts in any category or sub-specialty and receive regular updates of the latest research.
- Citation Alerting -keep track of particular citations, to see if anyone is citing it in recent journals.
- You can set up a citation alert whenever you’re reading a full-text article by clicking on "Save as Citation Alert."
- How to do a Cited Reference Search tutorial [VIDEO 4 min 16 seconds]
- For Cited Reference Search. Look at the link "cited by".
- search for your "key" article. Check the link "cited by" right beneath the reference to that article
- "Citation alerts"
- TIP: to avoid an overload of irrelevant stuff, set up an alert on the page where you list out "cited references"
- captures a "wider" range of journals and also includes "book chapters" etc.
- sshrc- list: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- WatchThatPage: is a service that enables you to automatically collect new information from your favorite pages on the Internet
- Conference Alerts: Academic and professional conference listings by subject and region
- BrowZine: brings scholarly, academic journal content together from multiple publishers and platforms into a single place, where you can save your favorite journals, view the tables of contents, and read or save articles, as new issues are released
- Citation Management software: Zotero, Mendeley, EndNote...
- Learn how to use citation management software.
- Data & statistics information: locating statistical resources and information
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems): includes geospatial data and maps
- NVivo: a software package that helps with qualitative data analysis
- Scholarly publishing and open access: "Scholarly communication is the system through which research and other scholarly writings are created, evaluated for quality, disseminated to the scholarly community, and preserved for future use" - from Association of College & Research Libraries.
Grey literature: defined as "information produced on all levels of government, academics, business and industry in electronic and print formats not controlled by commercial publishing" ie. where publishing is not the primary activity of the producing body." — ICGL Luxembourg definition, 1997. Expanded in New York, 2004
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris: Contains the full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups
- Canadian Research Index: to find Canadian government publications
- IGO Search: IGO Search is a Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) that searches across IGO websites. It is a project of the International Documents Taskforce (IDTF) of the American Library Association (ALA)
Literature reviews and current awareness
- Annual Reviews: synthesize the vast amount of primary research literature and identify the principal contributions in each field.
- Dissertations and Theses Global: a comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1743 to the present
- Dissertations and Theses@Carleton: Contains citations & abstracts for Carleton University Master’s and PhD theses as well as the full-text for theses from 1997-2013
- Carleton University's Institutional Repository: Open Access and other scholarly publications from Carleton University
Selected resources to get started:
- Avoid Plagiarism
- Citing Your Sources
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- The Routledge Handbook of Discourse Analysis
- Write a Book Review
- Writing the Research Paper Video
You can also:
Helpful documentation from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology:
Style Guide for the Preparation of Essays (Carleton University Department of Sociology and Anthropology)
- The composition of anthropology : how anthropological texts are written / edited by Morten Nielsen and Nigel Rapport.
- The craft of research / Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, Joseph Bizup, William T. FitzGerald.
- Doing honest work in college : how to prepare citations, avoid plagiarism, and achieve real academic success / Charles Lipson.
- Writing in anthropology : a brief guide / Shan-Estelle Brown, Rollins College.
- Writing in anthropology : the summary and the critique paper : a handbook for beginners and undergraduates / edited by Dorothy Ukaegbu.
Services for Graduate Students