This subject guide will assist you in finding books, journal articles, and websites, as well as assist you in developing your research skills.
Welcome to the library resource guide for Anthropology at Carleton University. This guide has been designed to assist scholars with finding relevant materials on topics and issues relating to Anthropology. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
To find more, go to the Omni search box and type in the relevant keywords (ex. handbook and race) and use the "books" filter on the left of the screen.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- Core concepts in cultural anthropology / Robert Lavenda, Emily Schultz.
- International dictionary of anthropologists / compiled by Library-Anthropology Resource Group (LARG) ; Christopher Winters, general editor ; editorial board: Michele Calhoun ... [et al.].
- The Routledge dictionary of anthropologists [electronic resource] / Gérald Gaillard ; translated by Peter James Bowman.
- The Canadian encyclopedia = L'encyclopédie canadienne (use Google to search for Canadian Encyclopedia articles)
- Companion encyclopedia of anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Tim Ingold.
- Encyclopedia of anthropology [electronic resource] / H. James Birx, editor.
- Encyclopedia of cultural anthropology / editors, David Levinson, Melvin Ember.
- Encyclopedia of social and cultural anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Alan Barnard, Jonathan Spencer.
- International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences [electronic resource] / editor-in-chief: James D. Wright.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Oxford Reference Online: Premium
- SAGE Knowledge Encyclopedias
- 21st century anthropology [electronic resource] : a reference handbook / editor, H. James Birx.
- An Anthropology of Images : Picture, Medium, Body / Hans Belting ; Translated by Thomas Dunlap.
- Doing visual ethnography / Sarah Pink.
- Handbook of the arts in qualitative research : perspectives, methodologies, examples, and issues / J. Gary Knowles, Ardra L. Cole.
- Handbook of methods in cultural anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by H. Russell Bernard and Clarence C. Gravlee.
- Medical anthropology in ecological perspective / Ann McElroy and Patricia K. Townsend ; [with contributions by Pamela L. Erickson and others].
- The Routledge handbook of medical anthropology [electronic resource] / edited by Lenore Manderson, Elizabeth Cartwright and Anita Hardon.
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
Starting more broadly:
Start with the Omni search box to search across almost all of the databases the library subscribes to. Use the main keywords found within your research topic. As you retrieve results, use the Omni filters on the left of the screen to narrow or broaden your search.
Searching more specifically:
When you need to search by specific fields like methodology or geography, you should go directly to specialized databases such as the ones listed below.
- Academic OneFile
- Annual Reviews
- Anthro Plus: Comprehensive international coverage in most branches of anthropology and archaeology, folklore, material culture and interdisciplinary studies.
- AnthroSource: Full text access publications of the American Anthropological Association, including American Anthropologist, American Ethnologist, Cultural Anthropology, Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Medical Anthropology Quarterly, and others.
- Basic Search eHRAF World Cultures Tutorial on YouTube
- eHRAF World Cultures: (Human Relations Area Files) cross-cultural and ethnographic database containing descriptive information on cultures (based on the Outline of World Cultures -OWC) and ethnic groups from around the world.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online
- Project MUSE
- Sage Research Methods: coverage spans the full range of research methods used in the social and behavioral sciences and resources to help with writing a research question, conducting a literature review, choosing a research method, collecting and analyzing data, and writing up the findings.
- Ebsco databases: Databases available through the EBSCOhost interface. Multiple databases can be selected and searched simultaneously. Click on EBSCOhost Web.
- JSTOR: Digital library of academic journals, books and primary sources.
Multidisciplinary databases with Canadian content:
For a more complete listing, see databases by subject webpage.
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY PEER REVIEWED
- AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW PEER REVIEWED
- ANNALS OF TOURISM RESEARCH PEER REVIEWED
- Annual Review of Sociology PEER REVIEWED
- Cultural anthropology : journal of the Society for Cultural Anthropology. PEER REVIEWED
- Evolutionary Anthropology: Issues, News, and Reviews [electronic resource]. PEER REVIEWED
- Information Communication & Society PEER REVIEWED
- JOURNAL OF PEASANT STUDIES PEER REVIEWED
- Socio-economic review [electronic resource].
- Criterion-on-Demand Provides access to educationally relevant new releases, foreign films, literary adaptations, documentaries, animated titles, and independent features.
- Kanopy Kanopy is a streaming service that provides a platform for educational video products covering a wide range of subjects, from arts, humanities, health, business, education, and more.
- Library DVD Collection The library's video collection is housed in our Reserves room. Since the shelves are not browsable, it is best to do an Omni search for the title of the movie you are looking for. You can then bring the title and call number to Reserves on the main floor of the library.
- NFB.ca Watch films produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Includes historical films dating back to 1928 to current contemporary releases, including award-winning documentaries, animation and fiction.
- Search Watmedia to locate videos at other Ontario universities. If you wish to borrow a video listed in Watmedia please fill out our Interfilm Video Request form - do not submit requests directly to Watmedia.
- ArtStor Digital Library : provides access to 2.5+ million images of the world’s cultural heritage, all rights-cleared for use in education.
For more go to our listing of images databases.
Books on visual anthropology:
- An Anthropology of Images : Picture, Medium, Body / Hans Belting ; Translated by Thomas Dunlap.
- Experimental film and anthropology / edited by Arnd Schneider, Caterina Pasqualino.
- Photography and anthropology / Christopher Pinney.
- Visual impact : culture and the meaning of images / Terence Wright.
Also consult our images "find" guide.
Start with a subject search in the library's Google Custom Government Information page and use the drop-down menu to select geography.
You can also search the following databases:
City of Ottawa:
International: (including content on Canada):
- IMF eLibrary (International Monetary Fund)
- OECD iLibrary (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development)
- UN iLibrary (United Nations)
- World Bank eLibrary
For more, look at the library's listing of government information databases.
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
- Start with Sage Research Methods, a comprehensive database of resources on research methods in the social sciences which includes:
- Creative teamwork [electronic resource] : developing rapid, site-switching ethnography / Pat Armstrong and Ruth Lowndes.
- Doing research in cultural studies : an introduction to classical and new methodological approaches / Paula Saukko.
- Indigenous research : theories, practices, and relationships / edited by Deborah McGregor, Jean-Paul Restoule, and Rochelle Johnston.
- Methods that matter [electronic resource] : integrating mixed methods for more effective social science research / edited by M. Cameron Hay.
- Mixed methods research [electronic resource] / Daphne Watkins and Deborah Gioia.
- The SAGE handbook of visual research methods / edited by Eric Margolis and Luc Pauwels.
- Visual methods in social research / Marcus Banks & David Zeitlyn.
- David Mills and Jane Dyson Discuss Ethnography
- Researching Multiracial Identity Using Ethnographic Methods
- What is Netnography?
- Ethics and anthropology : ideas and practice / Carolyn Fluehr-Lobban.
- Ethics for graduate researchers : a cross-disciplinary approach / edited by Cathriona Russell, Linda Hogan, and Maureen Junker-Kenny.
- Research ethics [electronic resource] : a philosophical guide to the responsible conduct of research / Gary Comstock.
- The student's guide to research ethics / Paul Oliver.
- Data mining for the social sciences : an introduction / Paul Attewell and David B. Monaghan with Darren Kwong.
- More statistical and methodological myths and urban legends / edited by Charles E. Lance, Robert J. Vandenberg.
- Practical Statistics: A Quick and Easy Guide to IBM® SPSS® Statistics, STATA, and Other Statistical Software
- Social statistics for a diverse society / Chava Frankfort-Nachmias, University of Wisconsin, Anna Leon-Guerrero, Pacific Lutheran University.
- Statistics : a tool for social research / Joseph F. Healey (Christopher Newport University), Steven G. Prus (Carleton University)
Selected resources to get started:
- Avoid Plagiarism
- Citing Your Sources
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Write a Book Review
- Writing the Research Paper Video
You can also:
- Find out about learning support sessions on writing that are offered by the Centre for Student Academic Support.
- Learn how to use citation management software.
Helpful documentation from the Department of Sociology and Anthropology:
- Style Guide for the Preparation of Essays (Carleton University Department of Sociology and Anthropology)
- The composition of anthropology : how anthropological texts are written / edited by Morten Nielsen and Nigel Rapport.
- The craft of research / Wayne C. Booth, Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, Joseph Bizup, William T. FitzGerald.
- Doing honest work in college : how to prepare citations, avoid plagiarism, and achieve real academic success / Charles Lipson.
- Writing in anthropology : a brief guide / Shan-Estelle Brown, Rollins College.
- Writing in anthropology : the summary and the critique paper : a handbook for beginners and undergraduates / edited by Dorothy Ukaegbu.