Here is a sample of different types of reference resources. You can find more in the catalogue by following these and other subject headings:
- Anthropology -- Bibliography
- Anthropology -- Dictionaries
- Anthropology -- Encyclopedias
- Ethnology -- Bibliography
- Ethnology -- Dictionaries
- Ethnology -- Encyclopedias
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
- Development, Dependency and Gender: A Bibliography, 2nd ed.
JX18 BIBL .N67 N. 10 1995
- Pre-Columbian Contact with the Americas Across the Oceans; An Annotated Bibliography, 2nd ed.
STF Z1212.S67 1996 [2v.]
- A Bibliography of Ethnographic Films
STF GN347 BIBL .B42
- Latin America and the Caribbean: A Critical Guide to Research Sources
STF F1408 .L3862 1992
- Human Rights and Anthropology
STF GN27 BIBL .H85
- Ecce Homo; An Annotated Bibliographic History of Physical Anthropology
STF GN60 BIBL .S64
- Research in Ritual Studies; A Programmatic Essay and Bibliography
STF GN473 BIBL .G75
- Biographical Dictionary of Social and Cultural Anthropology
- International Dictionary of Anthropologists
- The Routledge dictionary of anthropologists
- Women Anthropologists: A Biographical Dictionary
Most journals in Anthropology contain reviews of books. They can be searched in Anthropology journal articles databases such as:
Journals of reviews:
Databases of Anthropology reviews:
- Annual review of anthropology (1972-)
- Anthropology news (1997-)
- Current anthropology (1960-)
- Dissertations & Theses Global (1861-)
- The dictionary of anthropology
- Dictionary of concepts in cultural anthropology
- Dictionary of multicultural psychology : Issues, terms, and concepts
GN502 .H336 2005
- Dictionary of race and ethnic relations
- Dictionary of race, ethnicity and culture
GN495.6 .D53 2003
- Dictionary of symbols; an illustrated guide to traditional images, icons, and emblems
- Don't do it! : A dictionary of the forbidden
- An ethnohistorical dictionary of China
- Glossary of the third world : Words for understanding third world peoples & cultures
GN2. G772 (latest edition: 2013-2014)
- Companion Encyclopedia of Anthropology
- Cultural encyclopedia of the body
- The Encyclopaedia of Aboriginal Australia; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander History, Society and Culture
- Encyclopedia of Anthropology
- Encyclopedia of Canada's Peoples
FC104.E56 [also on open shelf and online]
- Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology
- Encyclopedia of Diasporas: Immigrant and Refugee Cultures Around the World
- Encyclopedia of Food and Culture
GT2850 .E53 2003 [3v.]
- Encyclopedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory
- Encyclopedia of Modern Ethnic Conflicts
GN496 .E56 2003
- Encyclopedia of Race and Ethnic Studies
GN495.6 .C37 2008 [also online]
- Encyclopedia of Semiotics
- Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Encyclopedia of the Arctic
GN495.6 .C37 2008 [3v.]
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures
G606 .E49 2005 [10v.]
- Ethnic relations: a cross-cultural encyclopedia
- History of physical anthropology
- International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences (2nd ed.)
- Marriage, Family, and Relationships; a Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia
Handbooks and Guidebooks
- Ethnic Groups Worldwide: A Ready Reference Handbook
- A Handbook of Economic Anthropology
- Handbook of South American Indians
Indexes and Abstracts
Consult the Databases section.
"Classic Anthropology" Books (list provided by Dr. Brian Given)
Crapanzano, V. (1980). Tuhami, portrait of a Moroccan. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (1937). Witchcraft, oracles and magic among the Azande. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Evans-Pritchard, E. E. (1950). The Nuer: A description of the modes of livelihood and political institutions of a nilotic people. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Fallers, L. A. (1964). The king's men; leadership and status in Buganda on the eve of independence. London: Oxford University Press.
Fernandez, J. W. (1982). Bwiti : An ethnography of the religious imagination in Africa. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Fortes, M. (1945). The dynamics of clanship among the Tallensi, being the first part of an analysis of the social structure of a trans-Volta tribe. New York: Oxford University Press.
Fortes, M. (1957). The web of kinship among the tallensi; the second part of an analysis of the social structure of a trans-volta tribe. London; New York: Oxford University Press.
Gluckman, M. (1954). Rituals of rebellion in South-East Africa. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
Griaule, M. (1965). Conversations with Ogotemmeli; an introduction to Dogon religious ideas. London: Oxford University Press.
International African Institute, & Forde, C. D. (1954). African worlds: Studies in the cosmological ideas and social values of African peoples. London, New York: Oxford University Press.
Karp, I. (1978). Fields of change among the Iteso of Kenya. London ; Boston: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
Kuper, H., & International African Institute. (1965). An African aristocracy: Rank among the Swazi. London: Oxford University Press.
Lienhardt, R. G. (1961). Divinity and experience: The religion of the Dinka. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Little, K. L. (1951). The mende of Sierra Leone: A West African people in transition. London: Routledge.
Nadel, S. F. (1954). Nupe religion. London: Routledge & Paul.
Nadel, S. F., & International institute of African languages and cultures. (1951). A black byzantium; the kingdom of Nupe in Nigeria. London: Oxford University Press.
Roscoe, J. (1965). The Baganda; an account of their native customs and beliefs (2nd ed.). London: Cass.
Shostak, M., & Nisa. (1981). Nisa, the life and words of a !Kung woman. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
Southall, A. W. (1956). Alur society: A study in processes and types of domination. Cambridge: Heffer.
Stenning, D. J. (1959). Savannah nomads: A study of the Woådaaåbe pastoral Fulani of Western Bornu Province, Northern Region, Nigeria. London: Published for the International African Institute by Oxford University Press.
Turner, V. W. (1967). The forest of symbols: Aspects of Ndembu ritual. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press.
Vansina, J. (1966). Kingdoms of the savanna. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
Wilson, M. H. (1959). Divine kings and the "breath of men". Cambridge: University Press.
Wilson, M. H. (1967). Good company: A study of Nyakyusa agevillages. Boston: Beacon Press.
Berreman, G. D. (1962). Behind many masks. Ithaca, N.Y.: Society for Applied Anthropology.
Du Bois, C. A. (1944). The people of Alor: A social-psychological study of an East Indian island. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Geertz, C. (1963). Agricultural involution : The process of ecological change in Indonesia. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Geertz, C. (1963). Peddlers and princes : Social change and economic modernization in two Indonesian towns. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Geertz, H., & Geertz, C. (1975). Kinship in Bali. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Leach, E. R. (1961). Pul Eliya, a village in Ceylon: A study of land tenure and kinship. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Leach, E. R. (1965). Political systems of highland Burma : A study of Kachin social structure. Boston: Beacon.
Radcliffe-Brown, A. R. (1964). The Andaman islanders (1st Free Press paperback ed.). New York: Free Press.
Spiro, M. E. (1977). Kinship and marriage in Burma : A cultural and psychodynamic analysis. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Bell, D. (1993). Daughters of the dreaming (2nd ed.). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Goodale, J. C. (1971). Tiwi wives; a study of the women of Melville Island, North Australia. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
Râoheim, G., & Muensterberger, W. (1974). Children of the desert; western tribes of central Australia. New York: Basic Books.
Warner, W. L. (1958). A Black civilization; a social study of an Australian tribe. (Rev. ed.). New York: Harper.
Benedict, R. (1946). Patterns of culture. New York: Penguin.
Boas, F. (1964). The Central Eskimo. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
Branouw, V. (1977). Wisconsin Chippewa myths and tales and their relation to Chippewa life. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
Briggs, J. L. (1970). Never in anger: Portrait of an Eskimo family. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Drucker, P. (1951). The Northern and Central Nootkan tribes. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off.
Fenton, W. N., & Kurath, G. P. (1991). The Iroquois eagle dance : An offshoot of the Calumet dance. Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press.
Goldman, I. (1975). The mouth of heaven : An introduction to Kwakiutl religious thought. New York ; Toronto: J. Wiley.
Hoebel, E. A. (1960). The Cheyennes: Indians of the great plains. New York: Holt.
Honigmann, J. J., & Honigmann, I. (1965). Eskimo townsmen. Ottawa: Canadian Research Centre for Anthropology, University of Ottawa.
Hughes, C. C. (1960). An Eskimo village in the modern world. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press.
Kluckhohn, C., Kluckhohn, R., Leighton, D. C., & Wales, L. H. (1974). The Navaho (Rev. ed.). Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Landes, R. (1968). Ojibwa religion and the Midéwiwin. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
Lewis, O. (1959). Five families: Mexican case studies in the culture of poverty. New York: Basic Books.
Lewis, O. (1966). Vida: A Puerto Rican family in the culture of poverty--San Juan and New York. New York: Random House.
Liebow, E. (1967). Tally's corner: A study of Negro street corner men. Boston: Little, Brown.
Miner, H. (1939). St. Denis, a French-Canadian parish. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Mooney, J. (1965). The ghost-dance religion and the Sioux outbreak of 1890 (Abridged ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Redfield, R. (1941). The folk culture of Yucatan. Chicago: The University of Chicago press.
Redfield, R., & Villa Rojas, A. (1962). Chan Kom, a Maya village. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Stearns, M. L. (1981). Haida culture in custody : The Masset band. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
Thompson, L., & Joseph, A. (1947). The Hopi way. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Trigger, B. G. (1969). The Huron farmers of the North. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
Trigger, B. G. (1976). The children of Aataentsic : A history of the Huron people to 1660. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
Wallace, A. F. C., & Steen, S. C. (1969). The death and rebirth of the Seneca. New York: Knopf.
Witherspoon, G. (1975). Navajo kinship and marriage. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Bateson, G. (1958). Naven, a survey of the problems suggested by a composite picture of the culture of a New Guinea tribe drawn from three points of view (2nd ed.). Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Burridge, K. (1960). Mambu : A Melanesian millennium. London: Methuen.
Firth, R. W. (1936). We, the Tikopia; a sociological study of kinship in primitive Polynesia. London: Allen.
Fortune, R. (1963). Sorcerers of Dobu: The social anthropology of the Dobu islanders of the Western Pacific (Rev. ed.). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
Fortune, R. (1965). Manus religion: An ethnological study of the Manus natives of the Admiralty Islands. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
Glasse, R. M., & Meggitt, M. J. (1969). Pigs, pearishells, and women: Marriage in the New Guinea highlands: A symposium. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
Keesing, R. M. (1982). Kwaio religion : The living and the dead in a Solomon Island society. New York: Columbia University Press.
Malinowski, B. (1950). Argonauts of the Western Pacific: An account of native enterprise and adventure in the archipelagoes of Melanesian New Guinea. New York: Dutton.
Oliver, D. L. (1955). A Solomon Island society: Kinship and leadership among the Siuai of Bougainville. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Rappaport, R. A. (1968). Pigs for the ancestors : Ritual in the ecology of a New Guinea people. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Weiner, A. B. (1976). Women of value, men of renown : New perspectives in Trobriand exchange. Austin: University of Texas Press.
Whiting, J. W. M. (1941). Becoming a kwoma: Teaching and learning in a New Guinea tribe. London: Milford.
Worsley, P. (1957). The trumpet shall sound; a study of "cargo" cults in Melanesia. London: MacGibbon & Kee.
Barton, R. F. (1946). The religion of the Ifugaos. Menasha, Wis: American Anthropological Assn.
Holmberg, A. R. (1969). Nomads of the long bow : The Siriono of eastern Bolivia. Garden City, N.Y.: Published for the American Museum of Natural History by Natural History Press.
Maybury-Lewis, D. (1967). Akwe-shavante society. London: Oxford University Press.
Redfield, R. (1930). Tepoztlan, a Mexican village; a study of folk life. Chicago: The University of Chicago press.
Reichel-Dolmatoff, G. (1971). Amazonian cosmos: The sexual and religious symbolism of the Tukano indians. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Arensberg, C. M. (1937). The Irish countryman: An anthropological study. London: Macmillan.
Banfield, E. C. (1958). The moral basis of a backward society. Glencoe, Ill.: University of Chicago.
Barth, F. (1961). Nomads of South Persia : The Basseri tribe of the Khamseh Confederacy. Oslo: University Press.
Dumont, J. (1978). The headman and I : Ambiguity and ambivalence in the fieldworking experience. Austin: University of Texas Press.
Homans, G. C. (1941). English villagers of the thirteenth century. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
Rabin, A. I. (1965). Growing up in the kibbutz : Comparison of the personality of children brought up in the kibbutz and of family-reared children. New York: Springer Pub. Co.
Wylie, L. W. (1964). Village in the Vaucluse (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Start with these databases:
Special note about AnthroSource
The Library no longer has a subscription to AnthroSource. Since AnthroSource is hosted on Wiley Online Journals, we retained the search page for AnthroSource since it was a way to refine the search by discipline. Sometimes this search page yields unusual results; for instance, only returning book reviews. If this happens, search the journals from the American Anthropological Association using the Wiley Online Journals search engine.
When you enter Wiley, click on the named icon in the upper left corner of the screen to access a search page. Use the advanced search. Since this is a multidisciplinary database, you must refine your search to select the Anthropology journals. Try using the following as your first concept (placed on the first row):
anthropol* OR ethnol* OR ethnogr*
Enter your other concepts on succeeding lines in the search area.
Other disciplinary databases
These may be relevant, depending on your research focus:
Also try these multidisciplinary databases:
and publishers' journal collections:
- Duke University Press Journals Online
- Sage Journals Online
- Taylor & Francis Journals
- Wiley Online Journals
For primary source material try:
- Empire Online
- Frontier Life: Borderlands, Settlement & Colonial Encounters
- Hubert Wenger Eskimo Database
- Mass Observation Online
- Slavery, Abolition and Social Justice
For ethnographic material try:
If you notice that your database search results seem to come from particular journals, you may wish to look more closely at those journals. Look up the title of the journal in the catalogue to find coverage and access details.
For more journals in anthropology, try the subject headings
or a keyword search for (anthropol* or ethnol* or ethnogr*) and s:periodicals
- American anthropologist
- American ethnologist
- American journal of human biology
- American journal of physical anthropology
- Annual review of anthropology
- Anthropological journal of European cultures
- Anthropologie et sociétés
- Anthropological theory
- Anthropology of food
- Arctic anthropology
- Asian ethnology
- Cultural anthropology : journal of the Society for Cultural Anthropology
- Current anthropology
- Field methods
- Human ecology
- Journal of anthropological research
- Journal of comparative research in anthropology and sociology
- Journal of contemporary ethnography
- Journal of ecological anthropology
- Journal of Latin American and Caribbean anthropology
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Museum anthropology
- Medical anthropology quarterly
- Public culture
- Social anthropology : the journal of the European Association of Social Anthropologist
- Social Networks
- Visual anthropology
ArtStor contains images of cultural artifacts.
Images can be found in primary source databases (see Databases and Journals section above).
Consult the specialists in Archives and Research Collections. Search their online resources, making sure to set the Media Type to image.
- An Anthropology of Images : Picture, Medium, Body
GN347 .B44613 2011
- Photography and anthropology
GN347 .P575 2011
- Visual impact : culture and the meaning of images
GN347 .W75 2008
Try a subject heading search in the catalogue for:
Images of Anthropology [obtain permission from the photographer to use images from this site]
Also consult our images "find" guide.
- Anthropology Podcasts (Institute of Social & Cultural Anthropology, University of Oxford)
- Podcasts from the SfAA 2007- (Society for Applied Anthropology)
There is no easy way to construct a list of all Carleton-owned documentaries having to do with Anthropology. Here are some strategies for finding films:
- Perform a keyword search for (anthro* or ethno*) in the catalogue, restricting the Material Type to "Film/Video". You can add you own concepts as well: for the anthropology of performance, try:
- Search our streaming video collections, including documentaries from the NFB.
- Check WATMedia for documentaries at Carleton or other universities. You can restrict by Subject.
- The Ottawa Public Library also has documentary films.
- Free Online Anthropology Videos and Video Clips (connexions)
There are databases of audio music and musical scores.
- American Anthropological Association
- Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK and Commonwealth
- Association of Social Anthropologists of Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Australian Anthropological Society
- Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA)
- International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Science
- Linguistics Society of America
- Royal Anthropological Institute
- Society for Applied Anthropology
- World Council of Anthropological Associations
- Canadian Anthropology University Programs
- Carleton University Department of Sociology and Anthropology
- University Departments, Institutes and Labs
- Anthropologists [Anthropology Resources on the Internet]
- Biographies of Influential Anthropologists
- Biographical Members Search (National Academy of Sciences)
Margaret Mead: Human Nature and the Power of Culture (Library of Congress)
Catalogues/Libraries with Anthropology Collections
- Canadian Museum of History (Library Catalogue)
- Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology (Harvard University)
- Smithsonian Institution Catalogue (SIRIS)
Topics and Themes
- Cultural Anthropology Tutorials (Palomar Collage)
- Expeditions: Smithsonian Research in Latin America
- Institute For Intercultural Studies
- Ethnographic Resources related to Folklore, Anthropology, Ethnomusicology, and the Humanities (The American Folklife Center)
- Ethnography, Observational Research, and Narrative Inquiry (Colorado State University)
Museums and Archives
- Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography and the Peabody Museum Collections Online
- Department of Anthropology (National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution)
- National Anthropological Archives and Human Studies Film Archives (Department of Anthropology, Smithsonian Institution)
- Virtual Museum of Canada
- Anthropological theories (University of Alabama)
- Les Classiques des sciences sociales [Full Texts of Anthropological Classics]
Confirm which style guide is right for your paper.
- Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) Style Guide
- Chicago Manual of Style Online (also see the Chicago section of the Library's citing guide)
- Other citation styles
The American Anthropological Association has decided not to maintain a style guide any longer and recommends that the Chicago Style be used instead.
Carleton's Department of Sociology and Anthropology also maintains a style guide.