There are many excellent online guides to doing a lilterature review. Samples include:
- The Literature Review: A Few Tips on Conducting It - Univeristy of Toronto
- Conducting a Literature Review - Georgetown University Medical Centre
- Literature Review - Deakin University Library
- Learn to Write a Review of Literature - University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Guidelines for Writing a Literature Review - University of Minnesota, Duluth
The library's new search tool, Summon, allows you to search for books, journal articles, media, and more with a single search. You can access Summon from the library's homepage. Also try the Advanced Search.
Once you have your results:
- To see only BOOKS click on Book/eBook.
- To see only JOURNAL ARTICLES click on Journal Article and click on Scholarly & Peer-Review.
Because there will be many results, it is important to narrow your search.
However, Summon doesn't search everything that the library owns so you will still need to search other resources to find everything that you need. Summon also doesn't let you do sophisticated searches that you may be used to doing in specific databases or the library catalogue.
Use Summon when starting research on a topic or when you are not sure which databases to use.
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries & Handbooks
- Encyclopedia of Globalization
- International dictionary of public management and governance
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Oxford Scholarship Online Limit search to economics, management, political science, etc.
- Handbook of globalization, governance, and public administration
- Routledge handbook of political management
- The SAGE handbook of governance
For current news
- PressReader - easy to use global coverage pdf format. The backfile varies by title.
- Roubini Global Economics excellent news monitorinig service. Create an account for global economic news and analysis.
Tips for searching newspaper databases.
For historical newspapers:
- The Globe and Mail: Canada's Heritage from 1844
- New York Times 1851-2005
- Times Digital Archive 1785-1985
- Dissertations & Theses Global Dates covered: Indexing 1743 - present; Full text 1997 - present
For a full list of databases see: Theses & Dissertations: Databases
Key Databases for Journal Articles
- PAIS Index (previously PAIS International)
- Columbia International Affairs Online
- EconLit with Full Text
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Web of Science
- Business Source Complete
- World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts
Good to know:
- Within a database, limit your search to scholarly articles when it is appropriate to disregard other resources.
- Never limit to full-text only as we may subscribe to the journal you find from another vendor. Use the Get it! icon to search for the full text when it is not immediately available.
- Use available options to search more than one database at a time.
- Look for the option to set up an RSS feed or to Create an Alert. You are then notified when a new entry is added to the database that meets your search criteria.
- Use the Interlibrary Loans RACER form to request items not held at Carleton’s library.
Use citation databases to find if a particular author and/or paper has been cited by other authors.
Web of Science
Select Cited Reference Search from top tool bar.
You have the article
Capling, A, Ravenhill J. "Multilateralising regionalism: What role for the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement?" Pacific Review Volume 24, Issue 5, December 2011, Pages 553-575
Enter the author in cited author box
Capling A* (use surname, first initial and truncation symbol)
Retrieve abbreviation of journal name from list provided, and enter year of publication. PAC REV 2011
From the list, select the matching entries and click on Finish Search at the top of the list.
Results show the article has been cited 27 times - the most recent in 2017.
Note the option Create Alert to be notified of any future citings of this article.
Choose Author Seach from top tool bar.
Enter author's name and affiliation if known
Select displayed result. All published articles by the author will be listed. Click on article for citing references.
For example: Ravenhill, J. The 'new East Asian regionalism': A political domino effect. Review of International Political Economy Volume 17, Issue 2, May 2010, Pages 178-208
This article has been cited 61 times, the most recent in 2017.
Tips for effective searching -
If you find one relevant article for your reseach it can lead to other relevant papers by the following:
- using the databases, including Summon, look to find all papers & books published by the author or co-authors
- Explore the bibliography in the paper for sources
- Using Web of Science or Scopus, look for articles that cite the article you found. Remember, some databases will also list citing articles but those lists are limited to the current database. The Web of Science and Scopus are more comprehensive, with coverage from multiple databases.
Journal Citation Reports - Provides evaluation of journals by the impact factor within a given discipline.
Choose Select Categories and limit by subject areas such as:
- Business, Finance
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Asia-Studies Full-Text Online
- Digital South Asia Library
- China Data Online
- China: Trade, Politics and Culture, 1793-1980
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records
- World Competitiveness Online
- World Development Indicators
- Asian Development Bank
- EIU Economist Intelligence Unit provides current and historical economic data and forecasting.
- globalEdge excellent free site from Michigan State University. Explore the contents on the left hand side:
for example: Select Culture - Culture Crossing Guide is a database of cross-cultural information about every country in the world. Select Risk - to find the political and business risk rating plus strenths, weaknesses and current trends.
from the main page look for: US Commerical Service - Country Commercial Guide, Country profile etc.
- Doing Business and Enterprise Surveys from the World Bank
- Human development report.