This subject guide will assist you in finding books, journal articles, and websites, as well as assist you in developing your research skills.
Welcome to the library resource guide for the Collaborative Master's Program in Data Science, also known as Big Data, at Carleton University. Scroll down to the Reference Materials section to find Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks.
Get background information from handbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries.
- Encyclopedia of data warehousing and mining [electronic resource] / [edited by]John Wang.
- Geo-data [electronic resource] : the world geographical encyclopedia / John F. McCoy, project editor.
- The DAMA dictionary of data management [electronic resource] / Susan Earley, editor.
- Data mining and knowledge discovery handbook [electronic resource] / edited by Oded Maimon and Lior RokacPh.
- Handbook of data intensive computing [electronic resource] / Borko Furht, Armando Escalante, editors.
- Handbook of SAS DATA Step programming [electronic resource] / Arthur Li.
- The data journalism handbook [electronic resource] / [edited by] Jonathan Gray, Lucy Chambers, Liliana Bounegru.
Once your topic is narrowly defined, select databases to find specific articles that have been published in journals.
- CANSIM II
- IEEE Xplore Digital Library
- LexisNexis Academic
- OECD iLibrary
- Web of Science Core Collection
- World Bank e-Library
- ACM transactions on knowledge discovery from data [electronic resource].
- Advanced data mining and applications [electronic resource] : 7th International Conference, ADMA 2011, Beijing, China, December 17-19, 2011, proceedings. Part I / Jie Tang...[et al.] (eds.).
- Advances in data mining applications and theoretical aspects ; industrial conference
- Big data [electronic resource]
- Communications of the IBIMA
- Computing and Visualization in Science [electronic resource].
- Data mining and knowledge discovery [electronic resource].
- Data Science Journal
- ICDM : International Conference on Data Mining (IEEE) - IEEE Computer Society Call
- IEEE transactions on knowledge and data engineering
- Intelligent data analysis [electronic resource] : IDA.
- International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Knowledge Discovery
- Journal of data mining and knowledge discovery [electronic resource].
- Journal of Data Science: an international journal devoted to applications of statistical methods at large
IBM White Papers
- Big data, bigger outcomes
- Big data: New insights transform industries
- Capitalize on the power of big data to transform marketing
- Capitalizing on the power of big data for retail
- Big data for Banking Getting the most out of big data
- IBM InfoSphere Streams: Redefining Real Time Analytics
- IBM InfoSphere Warehouse: Deliver actionable, real-time operational business insights
- IBM® InfoSphere™ Streams Performance Report
- Information Insight: From the Department to the Enterprise with IBM InfoSphere Warehouse
- Managing big data for smart grids and smart meters
- The Customer Capable Organization Leveraging information assets to optimize customer value
- The top five ways to get started with big data
- Using IBM BigInsights to accelerate big data time-to-value; The value of InfoSphere BigInsights
- What’s new in IBM InfoSphere Information Server v9.1
Find books on your topic to gain greater depth and understanding.
Google Books >Data Science
- Advances in social network mining and analysis [electronic resource] second international workshop, SNAKDD 2008, Las Vegas, NV, USA, August 24-27, 2008 : revised selected papers / Lee Giles ... [et al.] (eds.).
- Data analysis and data mining [electronic resource] : an introduction / Adelchi Azzalini and Bruno Scarpa.
- Data analysis using SQL and Excel [electronic resource] / Gordon S. Linoff.
- Data insights [electronic resource] : new ways to visualize and make sense of data / Hunter Whitney.
- Data mining [electronic resource] : Special issue in Annals of Information Systems / edited by Robert Stahlbock, Sven F. Crone, Stefan Lessmann.
- Data mining [electronic resource] : concepts and techniques / Jiawei Han, Micheline Kamber, Jian Pei.
- Data mining [electronic resource] : practical machine learning tools and techniques, third edition.
- Data mining techniques [electronic resource] : for marketing, sales, and customer relationship management, third edition / Gordon S. Linoff, Michael J.A. Berry.
- Data mining using SAS Enterprise miner [electronic resource] / Randall Matignon.
- Discovering knowledge in data [electronic resource] : an introduction to data mining / Daniel T. Larose.
- Evolutionary computation, machine learning and data mining in bioinformatics [electronic resource] : 10th European Conference, EvoBIO 2012, Málaga, Spain, April 11-13, 2012. Proceedings / Mario Giacobini, Leonardo Vanneschi, William S. Bush (eds.).
- Infographics [electronic resource] : the power of visual storytelling / Jason Lankow, Josh Ritchie, Ross Crooks.
- New Frontiers in Applied Data Mining
- Text mining with MATLAB® [electronic resource] / Rafael E. Banchs.
- Visualization of time-oriented data [electronic resource] / Wolfgang Aigner...[et al.].
- Visualize this [electronic resource] : the FlowingData guide to design, visualization, and statistics / Nathan Yau.
- XML data mining [electronic resource] : models, methods, and applications / [edited by] Andrea Tagarelli.
Suggested Subject Headings:
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- Advanced Distributed Computing
- Advanced Topics in Computer Communications: Wireless Sensor Networks
- Advanced Topics in Labour Economics
- Algorithms for Data Science
- Analysis of Categorical Data
- Business Analytics
- Business intelligence
- Computational Aspects of Geographic Information Systems
- Data and Information Management
- Data Integration
- Data mining
- Decision Models for Managers
- Design of Experiments
- Design of High Performance Software
- Financial Econometrics
- Game Theory
- Integrated Database Systems
- Knowledge representation (Information theory)
- Linear models (Statistics)
- Linear Optimization
- Methods in Molecular Genetics
- Methods of Economic Research
- Modelling for Biologists
- Modern Applied and Computational Statistics
- Multivariate Analysis
- Network Performance
- Nonlinear Optimization
- Optimization and Engineering Applications
- Parallel and Cloud Computing
- Performance Measurement and Modeling of Distributed Applications
- Population Genetics
- Portfolio Management
- Quantitative Methods
- Reliability and Survival Analysis
- Research Methods and Design
- Sampling Theory and Methods
- Simulation Methods in Business
- Statistical Computing
- Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments
- Stochastic Processes and Time Series Analysis
- Survey Sampling
- Time Series and Forecasting
- Time-Series Econometrics
- Visual Analytics
Fulltext eBook Collections:
- Begin by defining exactly what you are searching for
- Select the keywords/synonyms in your topic
- Be specific when determining keywords/synonyms and terms to search
- Use the advanced interface of electronic databases and Internet search engines to help narrow your search
- Limit results in electronic databases to full-text or peer reviewed journals only
- Use Boolean Operators to connect search terms (Click for a brief explanation of Boolean Operators)
- Take notes during your research to keep track of where you have been, keywords searched, what worked and what didn't, etc.
- Google search secrets [electronic resource] / Christa Burns and Michael P. Sauers.
- The Publication Cycle in Science and Engineering: to find primary and secondary sources of information, use tertiary sources of information: dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks. When a researcher publishes material, they follow the cycle clockwise. To find primary and secondary sources, follow the cycle anti clockwise.
More Writing & Citing Resources:
Write down or store all the references you have consulted to include them in your bibliography of your research paper (e.g., Mendeley)
- Writing Services
- Advice on Research and Writing From CMU, primarily for computer scientists
- IEEE Citation Style Guide
- Technical Report Writing: NASA
- Writing Guidelines for Engineering and Science Students: Penn State
- The Oxford guide to library research [electronic resource] / Thomas Mann.
- Annual Reviews Online / Authoritative, analytic reviews in 34 focused disciplines within the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences. They synthesize the vast amount of primary research literature and identify the principal contributions in each field.
Canada - Federal:
- Baldwin-Green Study: Canada - U.S. Census of Industry 1867-1940: Canadian and US manufacturing industries at the 2-digit SIC code level for census years 1900 to 1940. The Canadian figures start at 1870. Only general figures were recorded, such as the number of employees, the number of establishments, the salary and wag
- Canada Year Book tables: selected statistics from 1907 to 1967 at ten year intervals.
- Canadian Alcohol and Drug Use Monitoring Survey (CADUMS): upon request
- Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
- Canadian Election Studies: why people vote the way they do ... what does and does not change during the campaign and from one election to another.
- Canadian Opinion Research Archive (CORA): to explore data holdings, click on tabs on left
- CISTI's Gateway to Research Data: scientific, technical and medical (STM) data sets from a broad range of scientific disciplines.
- Historical Canadian Macroeconomic Dataset 1871 - 1994: Includes GNP, implicit price deflator, population, real GNP, per capita GNP, government expenditures, exports, imports, money suppy, bond yields, investment expenditures, current account balance.
- Historical Statistics of Canada, 2nd Ed.: contains about 1,088 statistical tables on the social, economic and institutional conditions of Canada from the start of the Confederation in 1867 to the mid-1970s.text as HTML pages and all tables as individual spreadsheets in comma separated value files
- Inflation Calculator from 1914 to the present: from the Bank of Canada; based on Stats Canada's CPI data.
- National Climate Data and Information Archive
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI): Find out about pollutant releases and transfers by postal code
- Open Data Portal: This pilot project provides a "single-window" to data already published by individual departments and agencies on their public Websites.
- Advanced Businss Analystics, Data Mining, and Predictive Modeling: LinkedIn
- ASIS&T - Association for Information Science and Technology
- Association of Information Technology Professionals: AITP is the leading worldwide society of professionals in information technology
- Best Practices for Preparing Environmental Data Sets to Share and Archive: data management pages for data providers to the ORNL Distributed Active Archive (DAAC)
- Big Data Visualization: LinkedIn
- Business Intelligence Connections: LinkedIn
- CDL - California Digital Library: the CDL has continually broken new ground by developing systems linking our users to the vast print and online collections within UC and beyond
- Data Scientists: LinkedIn
- Data Visualization: LinkedIn
- Databib: a tool for helping people identify and locate online repositories of research data.
- DataCite - A list of repositories for research data.
- DataFinder from the Population Reference Bureau
- DataOne (Data Observation Network for Earth)
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- Digital Curation Centre: (DCC) is a world-leading centre of expertise in digital information curation with a focus on building capacity, capability and skills for research data management across the UK's higher education research community
- FAA National Wildlife Aircraft Strike Database: contains records of reported wildlife strikes since 1990
- Gateway to Research Data: The NRC Gateway to Research Data provides central access to Canadian scientific, technical and medical (STM) data sets and other important data repositories, as well as links to selected policies and best practices guiding data management and curation activities in Canada
- Global Big Data and Analytics: LinkedIn
- Government Accountability Office (GAO)/US Government: advises Congress and the heads of executive agencies about ways to make government more efficient, effective, ethical, equitable and responsive
- Households and the Environment: Statistics Canada
- IASSIST: is an international organization of professionals working in and with information technology and data services to support research and teaching in the social sciences
- ICPSR Data Archive: provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community
- Infochimps: delivers a cloud service solution for Big Data that eliminates the struggle to master all the new Big Data technologies
- Innovation Enterprise: is an independent business-to-business multi-channel media brand focused on the information needs of Senior Big Data, Strategy, Advanced Analytics, Digital, Finance, Operations, Publishing & Decision Support executives
- Institute for Data Science at Carleton University
- IPUMS (Integrated Public Use Microdata Series): is one of the world's leading developers of demographic data resources
- IQSS Dataverse: The Harvard Dataverse Network is open to all scientific data from all disciplines worldwide; includes the world's largest collection of social science research data
- JISC: the UK's expert on digital technologies for education and research
- KDnuggets: News on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining
- Lavastorm Analytics Community Group: LinkedIn
- Odum Institute Dataverse Network - data catalog: provides access to data collections curated by the Odum Institute as well as collections owned by other institutions and individual scholars
- OECD Environmental Data Compendium: revised regulary, presents data linking pollution and natural resources with activity in such economic sectors as energy, transport, industry and agriculture; It shows the state of air, inland waters, wildlife, etc., for OECD countries and describes selected reponses by government and enterprises
- Open Data Portal (Canada): a key part of Canada’s Action Plan on Open Government to enhance transparency and accountability. data.gc.ca provides one-stop access to Government of Canada data and information
- O'Reilly Strata: LinkedIn
- PMI Marketplace: PMI’s worldwide advocacy for project management is reinforced by our globally recognized standards and certification program, extensive academic and market research programs, chapters and communities of practice, and professional development opportunities
- Project Management Institute: We serve practitioners and organizations with standards that describe good practices, globally recognized credentials that certify project management expertise, and resources for professional development, networking and community
- Research Data Alliance: aims to accelerate and facilitate research data sharing and exchange
- Sociometrics: science-based products for researchers & practitioners
- Statista: ggregates statistical data on over 600 international industries from more than 18,000 sources, including market researchers, trade organizations, scientific journals, and government databases
- Strata Conference: the essential training and information source for data science and big data—with industry news, reports, in-person and online events, and much more
- Summits calendar: Innovation Enterprise is an independent B2B multi channel media brand, focused on the information needs of Senior Big Data, Finance, Operations, Planning, ...
- Omni (add "reports" or "project management" to your search; use search/document type limits): Omni searches everything in the Carleton University library (books, ebooks, journal titles, games, music, videos, government information, maps, and more!), almost all of the articles and other sources in the databases that we subscribe to, plus research by Carleton faculty, staff and students found in our institutional repository, CURVE
- Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining and Data Science
- World Bank/Documents and Reports: To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the Bank is constantly seeking to improve the way it shares its knowledge and engages with clients and the public at large
- Zanran: gets you more meaningful numerical results than any other search engine